24" aluminum imac screen flicker

Reaction score
i bought a used 24" aluminum imac (2008 model) that was about 6 months old, but recently the screen has began to flicker...usually from a half to a full second every few hours or so. it also will sometimes flicker if the mac is nudged on either side, but this doesnt always happen, even when i TRY to initiate it. its not really major, but im just worried that the whole display will crap out soon. ive found threads about screen flickering with macbooks and led displays, but nothing for imacs yet. im not sure if this matters, but the person i bought it from opened it up and replaced the hard drive. another contributing factor may be that i constantly run torrents and my mac sometimes stays on for days at a time. it doesnt seem to overheat and ive never had this problem with my other imac (2007 17" white). when im not using it, i keep the disks active, but put the monitor to sleep to prevent burn in. im assuming that since this guy replaced the HD, this would void any warranty, so i think im pretty screwed as far as thats concerned unless i pay out of my own pocket. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Replacing the hard drive in an iMac 24" aluminum machine requires that the display assembly be removed in order to get at the HDD. It may be that the previous owner did not reassemble everything correctly or something may be loose. I don't know how you could really check it out without doing some disassembling yourself. If you're handy and can DIY, there are instructions on U-Tube and elsewhere which give step by step procedures for disassembly and reassembly of your iMac.

As for voiding the warranty when he changed the HDD, you probably should check that with Apple. There is a chance if you allow them to repair your iMac they will charge you accordingly.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.