Formulas in Numbers

Reaction score
I am using numbers and we are trying to take a formula that is in the top few cells and compy it down to the rest of the cells. But the catch is, we want the multiplier to stay the same but it keeps changing. For example we have it currently doing this.. (A2*D3) And when we try to compy it down it does this (A3*D3), (A4*D4) etc..... We want the multiplier or D3 to stay the same and only the first value of the A row Change so ideally ( A3*D3), (A4*D3) etc.. This works in Excel but i cant seem to get it working in Numbers.:Shouting:

Reaction score
I think this from the help pages in numbers may well answer your question - you would need to make the D3 your absolute reference I think

Distinguishing Absolute and Relative Cell References
Use absolute and relative forms of a cell reference to indicate the cell to which you want the reference to point if you copy or move its formula.

If a cell reference is relative (A1):
When its formula moves, it stays the same. However, when the formula is cut or copied and then pasted, the cell reference changes so that it retains the same position relative to the formula cell. For example, if a formula containing A1 appears in C4 and you copy the formula and paste it in C5, the cell reference in C5 becomes A2.
If the row and column components of a cell reference are absolute ($A$1):
When its formula is copied, the cell reference doesn’t change. You use the dollar sign ($) to designate a row or column component absolute. For example, if a formula containing $A$1 appears in C4 and you copy the formula and paste it in C5 or in D5, the cell reference in C5 or D5 remains $A$1.
If the row component of a cell reference is absolute (A$1):
The column component is relative and may change to retain its position relative to the formula cell. For example, if a formula containing A$1 appears in C4 and you copy the formula and paste it in D5, the cell reference in D5 becomes B$1.
If the column component of a cell reference is absolute ($A1):
The row component is relative and may change to retain its position relative to the formula cell. For example, if a formula containing $A1 appears in C4 and you copy the formula and paste it in C5 or in D5, the cell reference in C5 and D5 becomes $A2.
Here are ways to specify the absoluteness of cell reference components:
Type the cell reference using one of the conventions described above.

Click the disclosure triangle of a cell reference and choose an option from the pop-up menu.

Select a cell reference and press Command-K to cycle through options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.