using screen on dead flat screen iMac

B

brent319

Where i work there is a dead iMac flat screen. It got water damage and is written off for dead. I am not sure if the screen works or not, but I can probably take it home for next to nothing. Does anyone know if it is possibel to use the screen for other things? Either as a monitor or in a car stereo/video application.
Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well there's certainly not an easy way. I'm sure if you're good with electrical things and could get the specs, you could find someway to remove the screen and rig it up to use it somewhere else.

Reaction score
It would probably easier to fix what is broken in the iMac than use the LCD for something else.

OP
B

brent319

Naw, repair is out. It was water damaged, or so it said, but all that aside, the guts are missing out of it. Just 1/2 a hollow snowball and a monitor on a stick. Never seen one before. I really liked the design and the screen is very nice.
Oh, well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
brent319 said:
Naw, repair is out. It was water damaged, or so it said, but all that aside, the guts are missing out of it. Just 1/2 a hollow snowball and a monitor on a stick. Never seen one before. I really liked the design and the screen is very nice.
Oh, well.

If it's gutted with a water damaged LCD I'd leave it be. More hassle than it's worth, you'd have better luck if you started off with one or the other missing, but not both the insides gone AND the LCD being bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.