Erasing data securely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello!

I have downloaded some .avi shows from Megaupload, which is like Rapidshare. I will be going to the USA soon, and i've heard that they check your laptops. Now, i want to remove everything related to these downloads so that they can't see them. What should i do?

Also, i may move them to an external hard disk that i won't be taking with me. Will they know that i've transferred these files to an external hard disk?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, when you enter the US with a notebook computer, the customs folks will generally just ask you to boot the machine to make sure it's a computer and not something else more ominous.

To answer your question, you can secure erase the entire hard drive if you wish - using Disk Utility. You can also wipe free space on your drive using Disk Utility, however, Disk Utility does not wipe "file slack". In order to completely secure wipe free space including "file slack" you need a third party utility = "BC Wipe".

See the following link for additional info.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have downloaded some .avi shows from Megaupload, which is like Rapidshare. I will be going to the USA soon, and i've heard that they check your laptops. Now, i want to remove everything related to these downloads so that they can't see them. What should i do?
Well, not downloading illegal content would be a good start.

So, you're asking us to help you hide your illegal activities? Does this not seem wrong in any way?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Discussion of illegal activity is prohibited on these forums. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.