how to keep iphoto in full screen when using another program on external display?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a historian and have many pictures of documents from archives. I want to view the pictures in iphoto in full-screen mode, and at the same time type notes into Word using an external display.

I can't seem to keep the pictures in full-screen mode when I start typing into the Word program. Is this possible?

Full-screen mode is ideal because it's much easier to read the documents. Any other suggestions for zoom or enlargement would also be appreciated.

I'd be grateful for any tips!

Thanks,
Loucha

Reaction score
Full screen in iPhoto is for editing and probably not going to do what you want. Does just double clicking on the photo not zoom large enough for you to see as you need? If double clicking doesn't go large enough you may want to go to System Preferences and turn Zoom on in Universal Access. The Zoom Options will let you setup zoom different ways. I don't have any idea how this will work with and external display, but you may want to try and see if it helps.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks, Pomeroy. I didn't know about that zoom function and it does help.

I would, though, still prefer to find a way to remain in iphoto's full-screen mode while I use another program on my external display.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

cheers,
Loucha

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's Loucha again. I tried to follow Pomeroy's suggestion but ran into a problem: when I use universal zoom to enlarge the image in iphoto, my external display also enlarges. This makes typing notes into Word difficult.

So... I'm still looking for suggestions about how to keep iphoto in full-view mode.

Cheers!
Loucha

Reaction score
Let me try again. ;D
On the screen you have iPhoto on click the green Maximize button on iPhoto and then in the bottom right corner of iPhoto drag the thumbnail slider to the right. I would think this would make the thumbnails even big enough to read. I can easily read scanned census doc's on my 13" Macbook. If this is still not large enough make sure you have "Double-click photo Magnifies photo" checked in iPhoto's Preference's General tab. Then double click on the thumbnail you want to view. This will make it almost full screen.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi again Pomeroy,

Thanks for trying! Your instructions are pretty much what I was already doing, and there is still an enormous difference between this large thumbnail view and the full-screen mode. I can read the thumbnails, but it isn't nearly as comfortable as reading in the full-screen mode (and I'm reading thousands of documents, so the difference adds up quickly).

I really appreciate you effort though!

Does anyone else have suggestions about how to keep iphoto in full screen mode when using another program on external display?

Cheers,
Loucha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Does anyone else have suggestions about how to keep iphoto in full screen mode when using another program on external display?
You simply cannot do this.

If you want an enlarged view of a photo, then try opening it in Preview.
Preview will allow you an independent zoom on your photo if you need to see it larger on one screen... and still be able to work in another program on your other screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.