Macbook Pro 2006 Model Question

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to macs and I'm very excited about owning one. I recently bought a 15" Macbook pro [late 2006 model (2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120Gb HD, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 2Gb RAM)] from a friend. He had 10.4 running which I believe is the Tiger OS?
My other friend gave me his "recovery CDs" which were 10.5.2 for his mac. Every time I tried to install it, it won't work. I've already tried the erase and install method and still it won't work.

Do I need to get the retail OS X CDs?
Can it be because of the ATI graphic card?
Can I run even run 10.5?

If someone could help answer these questions it'll be much appriciated.

Thank you

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I'm new to macs and I'm very excited about owning one. I recently bought a 15" Macbook pro [late 2006 model (2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120Gb HD, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 2Gb RAM)] from a friend. He had 10.4 running which I believe is the Tiger OS?
My other friend gave me his "recovery CDs" which were 10.5.2 for his mac. Every time I tried to install it, it won't work. I've already tried the erase and install method and still it won't work.

10.4 is Tiger. 10.5 is Leopard. 10.5 is not a free upgrade.

Do I need to get the retail OS X CDs?

If you want to upgrade to Leopard, then yes. Also, System Disks are model-specific.

Can it be because of the ATI graphic card?

That's part of it. The System Disks are tailored to be used with the machine they were sold with. For both legal and technical reasons, you may not use them with another Mac.

Can I run even run 10.5?

Sure, you just have to pay for the upgrade. However, since 10.6 is right around the corner (late September), I'd just wait until that comes out.

If someone could help answer these questions it'll be much appriciated.

Thank you

No problem, welcome to the forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.