Can this be right

T

toffee

Hi all.

I've just bought a Lacie d2 DVD + RW to word with my new ibook G4. I started by importing a 37 min camcorder video into imovie. After editing it I then went to the HD / Movies and dragged the file into toast, I then choose DVD-Video/High quality/Create DVD menu and pressed the red button and away we go. The time went on & on & on. It took 5 hours to encode and copy. Am I doing some thing wrong or is this the time it takes.

Toffee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Depending on the size and complexity of the movie it could very well take a long time to encode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
That sounds about right...It is encoding HD footage into High Quality DVD footage so it will take a while to encode it to the highest quality from such high quality footage

Reaction score
You didn't say what your system was, but even with a good powerful system encoding video can certainly take that long and much longer. I would think that 5 hours on a laptop would not be out of reason at all...

OP
T

toffee

Thanks both. I suppose I thought it would just like burning a music CD on my old PC. Stupid me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope not quite the same

When you burn a DVD it has to take your .dv files which you imported from your camera and convert them to .vob files which dvd players can read. This is similar to iTunes converting AAC/mp3 to AIFF for CD's but it is a much longer process because the size of the .dv files it has to convert

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Doing basically what you are doing, My PC with a 2.53 Ggz P4 has taken 4+ hours. So I think you are ok. Some encoding takes a long time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.