Will an external optical drive work for instaling leopard?

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying one of those lg slim drives or similar so i could burn dvds on my macbook (that sadly has a combo drive) and install leopard, i am planning on upgrading my hard drive before starting leopard so if i were to put in a new hard drive (no os installed) and try and boot from the external hard drive (because the combo drive is incompetent) would it work and recognize the cd? I know that the optical drive is compatible with mac but i dont know if it will work in bios without drivers. So any experience, thoughts or suggestions on this? Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hi Antihomie,

I went to this forum for exactly the same question. Have you tried anything yet? And if so, were you succesful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in 2.53GHz 4GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HDD and a turbocharger
i dont see why not....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An external optical drive will work to load Leopard on your MacBook. As long as your machine is an Intel one, a USB or Firewire drive may be used. For PPC machines only Firewire will work.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.