Target Disk Mode

Reaction score
My macbook pro (2 months old) recently booted up with the flashing "?"... I then tried booting it from the install disk and used Disk Utility to try and repair disk, this gave me the "b-tree node size" error, i then talked with apple over the phone and they told me i should connect my macbook pro via firewire to my imac and boot in target disk mode to extract the VERY important files i have before erasing the disk... However when i boot it to the imac it says "The disk you have inserted is not readable by this computer", my imac does not run leopard (but the macbook does run leopard), my imac runs 10.4.11, Do i need more up to date software to read my broken computer, or does anybody have any other ideas on how to get all my files?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

My macbook pro (2 months old) recently booted up with the flashing "?"... I then tried booting it from the install disk and used Disk Utility to try and repair disk, this gave me the "b-tree node size" error, i then talked with apple over the phone and they told me i should connect my macbook pro via firewire to my imac and boot in target disk mode to extract the VERY important files i have before erasing the disk... However when i boot it to the imac it says "The disk you have inserted is not readable by this computer", my imac does not run leopard (but the macbook does run leopard), my imac runs 10.4.11, Do i need more up to date software to read my broken computer, or does anybody have any other ideas on how to get all my files?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts and moved to software forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.