I'm so lucky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
So, this past week I've been looking into upgrading the RAM to 2GB, and thought I'd look online. The only problem with that is I live in canada. So if I wanted some decent RAM, then that would be quite costly as ordering from the states adds brokerage fee, and have only found one site that had what I was looking for. But after taxes, and shipping, it would come to $60 and wouldn't arrive 'til august 4th. So I decides to visit the local apple reseller in my neighboring city. While I was there, I also asked how much it would cost to replace my top case (keyboard + trackpad) as many months ago I dropped my MacBook which damaged that part. Not the biggest damage so I could live with it for the past ten months. So when I got there, the guy said it was at least $250 to replace. I would not have replaced it at that price. Then, suddenly we both noticed there was a crack on my case! You know what that means- free replacement! I'm pretty sure that crack wasn't there until yesterday. I particulary remember closing it a bit harder yesterday. Oh, and the RAM is $50, which is fine for me considering the downsides of online buying. The only downside to all this is I won't see my MacBook for 3-4 days :/ but luckily I got my iPhone and other crappy PCs lying around to make up for that. I typed up all of this on my iPhone

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm a bit mixed up by your post.

I'm assuming that your laptop is still covered under warranty...since you mentioned "free replacement".

My question is...you said you had a crack in the case, and this lead to the replacement.

You also mentioned that your keyboard & top case needed replacement (due to your dropping it)...and that this would cost $250. Why wasn't this covered under the warranty?

I'm guessing that the same "dropping of the laptop" not only damaged the keyboard & top case...but also caused the "crack in the case" which lead to the replacement.

Like I said, your post is a bit confusing...maybe you can clear things up.

Thanks,

- Nick

Edit: Just saw that you said that you thought that the case crack "wasn't in the case until yesterday"...well then where the heck did that crack come from?

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a bit mixed up by your post.

I'm assuming that your laptop is still covered under warranty...since you mentioned "free replacement".

Here's the best part, I have literally two days of my warranty left, haha

My question is...you said you had a crack in the case, and this lead to the replacement.

You also mentioned that your keyboard & top case needed replacement (due to your dropping it)...and that this would cost $250. Why wasn't this covered under the warranty?

I'm guessing that the same "dropping of the laptop" not only damaged the keyboard & top case...but also caused the "crack in the case" which lead to the replacement.
By top case I meant the case piece that includes the keyboard and trackpad. Not the laptop lid or anything like that, if that's what you were thinking. This piece was damaged inside the laptop and the one corner of it is bent a little. Normally this piece would cost at least $250 to install on my laptop.
The reason why this isn't covered under the warranty because it is technically my fault, similar to water damage.

Edit: Just saw that you said that you thought that the case crack "wasn't in the case until yesterday"...well then where the heck did that crack come from?

It came from me closing the lid a bit too hard (but honestly I didn't close it that hard.
So in short: Ten months ago I dropped my laptop and caused some minor damage in one corner of the one piece (the piece with the keyboard and trackpad). Yesterday, I cracked that piece by closing my lid with a little more force than usual. Today I went to go get that piece replaced for free, with two days of warranty left. I didn't notice that crack until I brought it to the store today, with my intention today being just to buy RAM and find out how much it would cost to replace my broken piece of laptop.

I apologize for my poor grammar and English skills lol, school's out haha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for clearing up the detail about the top case. I did think that you meant the lid...but I understand what you mean about the plastic piece that the trackpad & keyboard are part of.

But...you said that the damage done to the "top case" (the part with the keyboard & trackpad)...was your fault because you dropped it.

Wasn't the damage/crack to the lid also your fault?...you said that it was probably due to your closing the lid too hard.

So in both situations...the damage was your fault...right?

The most important thing is that you're getting your laptop repaired, it just seems a bit "questionable" with just 2 days of warranty remaining.

Best wishes & good luck with the repaired laptop,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, this past week I've been looking into upgrading the RAM to 2GB, and thought I'd look online. The only problem with that is I live in canada.
I don't know where you live in Ontario but it's not that hard to find good and cheap RAM. Where have you been looking?

4GB Corsair RAM - $53.
2GB Crucial RAM - $41.

These may not necessarily be the proper spec'd RAM for your machine but this was to show RAM is cheap here too ;).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding the 2 gig ram upgrade. I can't speak for any extra fees you may have to pay since you're in Canada...but here's a 2 gig memory upgrade for MacBook's for $29.99:

2.0GB Matched Pair (1.0GB x 2 Kit) PC5300... (53DR2SPAIR2G) at OWC

I know that a lot of folks find Macsales to have very competitive prices, and fast shipping...including some folks from Australia.

- Nick

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@vansmith and pigoo

I checked both OWC and TigerDirect. Correct me if I'm wrong but OWC ships from the states which means brokerage fees. For 2GB of RAM it comes to like $50 after taxes and shipping, which is ok but then there is that brokerage fee. At TigerDirect it comes to $60, but isn't expected to arrive 'til August 4th. At the store, after taxes, comes to $56 with no hassle and I'll have it right away

OP
GK27V6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
w00t got my MacBook back a day early!

Got some pics too.

Before:
P4300324.jpg

P4300325.jpg

After:
photo-2.jpg

Pretty happy about this, it almost feels like having a new laptop (mostly because of the smell). I've also noticed a slight performance gain with my new RAM, but not quite as much as I expected. Oh well, I'll test that out more extensively later.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've also noticed a slight performance gain with my new RAM, but not quite as much as I expected.
You probably won't notice it much now until you actually start using a lot of RAM. The more you open, the more you'll notice the RAM increase.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
w00t got my MacBook back a day early!

Congrats on getting your MacBook back a day early. Always a nice surprise!!!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.