how to remove startup processes

G

gdestiny

i've recently installed McAfee and Norton antivirus for testing purposes. even though i have uninstalled both programs, i still have left over processes that's starting up automatically.

how do i get rid of them? other than using activity monitor to manually force quit each processes.

some of the processes i'd like remove are: VShieldxxx, Virex.X, etc.

Reaction score
u mean they still start up with your computer???

then go to System Preferences > Accounts > then click your user name on the left pane, and go to the start up tab. just uncheck watever there.

OP
G

gdestiny

yeah, i did that already. but those processes are still starting up. they must be system specific processes, not account specific.

where do i go to remove those system processes from starting up automatically?

OP
V

Vetteman

I have the same issue and it aggrivates me. I'd love to know how this is removed too.

OP
D

d-funct

You have to actually remove them - if you get rid of ticks it still starts just its not hidden
click on them then click on the '-' at the bottom .. should now be gone

OP
G

gdestiny

d-funct said:
You have to actually remove them - if you get rid of ticks it still starts just its not hidden
click on them then click on the '-' at the bottom .. should now be gone
the startup items in my account is blank; there's nothing to remove.

but process like NortonAutoProtect, VShieldXXX, Virex, etc. keeps showing up in my Activity Monitor under All Processes

since OSX does not have a registry like XP, there's gotta be a script or command file that launches those processes at startup.

what's more annoying is even when i force quit NortonAutoProtect, it comes back again in a few minutes! and it's eating up about 11MB of physical memory.

OP
D

d-funct

You could just uninstall norton .. as for the startup stuff I thought it was all kept in there like xp keeps all its startup stuff in MSConfig

OP
G

gdestiny

i just dragged the norton into my trash can. i thought that was how you uninstall apps in OSX?

anyway, digging a little bit more, i found the startup items in /library/StartupItems; so i went there and removed the folders (after force quitting the process from Activity Monitor first)

btw, even in XP, not all the startup items show up in MSconfig. some of them are buried in the registry under RunStartup or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Go in your user folder and library and then preferences and trash the apps Plists

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
since you know the name of the things that are running, can you do a search for them and delete them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It's far easier to do: Go in your user folder and library and then preferences and trash the apps Plists

Reaction score
yes, or you can install them both, and change the settings in the programs not to start up, then search for ALL the application files , including plists, and drag them to the trash and delete (or secure delete)? should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
See? Shaun knows how! Not that hard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.