imovie "exporting" sound glitch

M

Mungzy

Early 2001 imac G3 Special Edition 600MHz 40GB 768MB... running OS 9.1 imovie2.

I've previously created a few movies with no problems in video/sound/exporting.
Just recently, I created a 15 minute movie and when played on imovie it's perfect!
When "exporting to camera" (Sony miniDV DCR-TRV30) I get random pops and glitches in the sound.
Again, this DOES NOT HAPPEN when played on imovie. I've done the following:

Increased imovie memory to preferred 70000.
Converted audio files from MP3 to AIFF.
Changed time real from 20x to 1x when exporting.
Virtual Memory is OFF.
Changed sound recording on my camera from 12 bit to 16 bit.
Replaced player head on my camera.
Installed 512MB additional RAM, totaling 768MB.
Plenty of room on my hard drive (25GB).
Rebuilt hard drive with extensions off.

Also, I've created another movie with just the audio files, exported, and got the same random pops and glitches. Problem is in "exporting", but don't know what else to do to correct. Again, these pops and glitches are random, in different areas of the audio every time I export, so the audo files can't be corrupt. Your expertise on this issue would be much appreciated!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried changing sound recording on the camera back to 12 bit?

Is the problem still there. Trying to rule out the camera, since this is the only camera setting.

OP
M

Mungzy

rman said:
Have you tried changing sound recording on the camera back to 12 bit?

Is the problem still there. Trying to rule out the camera, since this is the only camera setting.

Yes, I've exported imovie to my MiniDV in the 12 bit and 16 bit setting and still get the same pops and glitches.

Something has to give!!?? :confused:

OP
F

falldesign

I have the same pop/crackle sound problems

Mungzy said:
Yes, I've exported imovie to my MiniDV in the 12 bit and 16 bit setting and still get the same pops and glitches.

Something has to give!!?? :confused:

I am experiencing the same sound problems described by Mungzy. In addition there seems to be very slight background pops throughout the tape. The movie plays fine when exported to QT or played through iMovie.

Has anyone found the solution to their sound problems?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I have found the solution!

Hey everyone, So i had the BIGGEST issue with this as well....

I had a 1 hour movie that I needed to burn to roughly 20 DVDs, but all of the sound was messed up and distorted in certain areas.

I have found the solution, it took FOREVER but it works:

It seems that if you use the "slow-speed or fast-speed" function for video, and don't use IMovie's pre-set speeds, it will cause this error. For example, if you're trying to slow a movie clip down, and you type in "76%" this will cause your sound to be messed up.

however if you use iMovie's pre-set speeds, the sound is clear and no errors occur. You have to use "100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%" and the other pre-set tick marks on this function. I had to go through my hour movie and correct dozens of clips, but it worked.

Hope this works for you too, CANNOT BELIVE Apple hasn't fixed this yet.....or at least you would think they would have a notification window that this may occur if you type in your own speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.