Do I have to buy MS Office for Mac?

Reaction score
I just switched and I am ELATED!!!!!!!!!!!

I want nothing else to do with Microsoft, but know I'll have to run somethings in Windows such as AutoCAD, and a few other things until I have the money to replace them.

I like the Text Editor in Mac very much, but it's not opening up my .docs as they were saved, even though the thumbnail shows the original .docs as I had made them.

Do I HAVE to buy MS Office for Mac (for spreadsheets as well) or is there a better Mac app to do this for me???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, if you want free - take a look at Open Office or Neo Office (Neo Office is a modification of Open Office) They will open the many Office files (some with certain embedded macros may cause issues) and can save out to office files.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might also find iWork does the job for you. It's not free but you can download a trial to see if you like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
As Nethfel mentioned, OpenOffice is a good alternative if you really don't want/need Office. OpenOffice can save to and open .doc files, as well as .xls files for Excel spreadsheets.
I use TextEdit all the time, too ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yes, you must buy it. Bill Gates will track you down and force you to use Windows Vista if you don't. :eek:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just switched and I am ELATED!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I HAVE to buy MS Office for Mac (for spreadsheets as well) or is there a better Mac app to do this for me???????

You don't "have" to buy MS Office for Mac (there are other alternatives as you've been advised) but if you want 100% compatibility with your documents that you created using MS Office for Windows, Mac MS Office is best.

You can purchase the Home and Student version of MS Office 2008 from several web discounters. Amazon has it for $99.99. Includes Word, PP, Excel, Entourage, and can be installed on up to three machines - same household.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Open office has a spread sheet function like excell and even power point like software of course the word equivelant.

Best of all it is free. OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite
I agree, I want nothing MS on my mac.

I have to use open office at my pc at work when someone sends me a .docx (newest word extension) because it can even open that and save as a doc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.