Customize Mac 10.5.7 desktop per AD Login

Reaction score
Hello,

Hope this is the right place....

I have managed to configure a MAC (ox=10.5.7) to login to a windows server 2003 via Active Directory (AD). I can login to the mac via the AD authentication w/o creating an account on the MAC.
Life is good…

However I’m volunteering at this is school and we have two things we would like:

1- Provide a private folder on the Dock based on user login. Also provide a group folder on the dock based on the group (grade) the user is in. The intent is to use these folders to store and/or handin assignments. The teachers would have access rights to these folders.
2- Custom configure the desktop based on a group. The user would login w/ their AD credentials and the Win 2003 server would have them included in a group. In our case, each student would be a respective group called grade. Ie. Grade 1, grade 2 etc. The desktop would load a configuration based on grade.

Anyone have/or know where to find a step by step how to configure these features?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You do realize - you now have 3 posts covering the same topic. 2 in this forum, and one in the windows forum:

1) This post
2) http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...130-how-connect-mac-ad-customize-desktop.html (which was in Anything Goes)
3) http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/wi...132-how-connect-mac-ad-customize-desktop.html

I know the admins here don't really like users posting identical posts to multiple forums on their boards.

I had responded with a site for you to take a look at to see if it would help on thread #2, but never saw a reply from you to see if it did. There are tons of information on the net with regards to connecting Leopard to Active Directory - the link I had provided, although a slightly older version of OSX was referenced, it should have at least given you a point to start to help figure things out.

You can also look at this product: Active Directory Integration for Mac OS X which would probably help you use AD GPOs on OSX, but I don't know cost involved. With that many macs, it may be an idea to look into getting an OSX server to handle authentication / authorization / etc. unless you have a lot of windows machines that need to authenticate that are already created on the win 2K3 domain (although you could find other work arounds for using OSX server if you wanted)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.