Using Express Card Slot forces restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.8GHZ, 4GB DDR3
I just bought a Express Card CF Card Reader for my new unibody MacBook Pro. After you transfer the photos, it goes the screen that forces you to restart.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Wouldn't be a Delkin reader by any chance.

If so you may need to update the driver. I have the uDMA version which does exactly the same thing. Unfortunately there are no drivers for this on the Delkin site, and Delkin support are noticable by their lack of response. However they do seem to have drivers for the non uDMA version

Reaction score
First thing to do is check the manufacturers web site and see if there are any software updates available.

I've found that many companies offer Windows compatibility but when it comes to Mac it's a different story.

My Delkin now resides in my old Compaq which I only use occasional. I've opted for a Lexar card reader which is 100% reliable. But then it's USB.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're experiencing a kernel panic. That is usually caused by faulty hardware. My bet is that the card is bad. ExpressCard media readers typically don't need special drivers or software to run them. I use a Griffin 3-in-1 unit that has functioned flawlessly.

I would check with the manufacturer and see if they'll swap it. If not, return it to the retailer you bought it from and purchase one that is specifically touted as being Mac-compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.