Which hard drive is best for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Hi all

I'm wanting to get a bigger internal hard drive to cope with my growing iTunes library and so I can run Logic Studio on it.
I'm not really bothered how fast the drive is as long as it's as fast as my White MacBook's default hard drive. I'm looking at these two drives:

Samsung 400GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

Seagate ST9320421ASG 320GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATA300 7200rpm 16MB

The 320GB drive is easily enough space, however the 400GB drive is actually cheaper.
But will the 400GB drive be any slower than my MacBook's hard drive at the moment? Why is it cheaper than the 320GB drive?

EDIT: Also, will the 320GB drive use up a lot of battery because of the spin speed?
EDIT 2: And are these drives even compatible with my White MacBook? (Sorry about the many edits!)

Thanks a lot

Jonny

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have the Seagate HDD in my Macbook right now and I haven't noticed any difference in battery drainage.

Get the Seagate, it's faster by a lot. Especially when you factor in the 16MB cache as well.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook with 4GB RAM and 80GB memory + 500GB external hard drive. iPod Classic Silver
Yes my friend has a seagate, and it's quite good.
Thanks a lot for your reply (and confirming they work in MacBooks)! I probably will go for the 320Gb.

Zacariem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in the Seagate, the fast RPM and Cache Speed will be a blessing and they come with a five year warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.