13" MBP 2.26 GHz + Intel's SSD X-25 2nd Gen (34nm) vs 15" MBP 2.66GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2,1 > 2.16GHz|4GB
Hi all, I'm in the cusp of making a decision to purchase the new MBP, but still weighing between 2 different configurations. Would appreciate it if anyone can give their 2 cents on this.

A recent review, posted that the 13" MBP (@ 2.26GHz) clocked a ~42 FPS on Doom test, vs ~84 FPS on the 15" MBP (@ 2.66Ghz-the discrete graphics version). That's double the improvement, which I deem is significant.

However, what if you add an Intel SSD X25 2nd Gen, the 34nm version which is selling @ ~ $490. How fast/significant is the improvement that you'd get from having the SSD installed on the 13"? So this is basically a SSD vs Discrete graphics card question.

This figures out to be a duel between a $1700 13" MBP + SSD vs a $2000 15" MBP @ 2.66GHz.

If anyone can give a real life comparison, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the same situation as you. The ssd will improve read speeds which means that your boot time, shutdown time and app oppening will be much faster. However, it will not improve the actual use of the app, unless your copying things or something. I believe that that's what it is, but I'm not 100% sure :)
I have a question, I found on amazon the Intel X25-M Mainstream Solid State Drive - Solid state drive - 80 GB - internal - 2.5" - SATA-300. But it says, Vista Certification: Works with Windows Vista, will this also work for mac? And I heard that the 80gb model gives problems with bootcamp, is this fixed?
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Grayer is correct. The faster drive will not significantly improve the FPS. All of your load times whould be significantly faster, but once started it is being played mostly from your RAM, not the hard drive. You would see improvement where it needs to use virtual memory, but I really doubt this would be enough to make up for a poor video card.

There is at least one review on that drive at Amazon (U.S. site) that says the bootcamp issue has been fixed and they even provide the link for the firmware update.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2,1 > 2.16GHz|4GB
From what I read, in the US that is, from both Newegg and Amazon, they are mac users:

> Newegg.com - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH160G1 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
> Amazon.com: Intel X25-M Mainstream 160GB SATA 2.5-Inch MLC Solid State Drive: Electronics

And this guy, Apple MacBook Pro 13" Unibody 2.53GHz Review | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest, has installed it and lived to tell the tale :)

So, if I plan to use it partially for gaming as well, then discrete graphics is the way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.