Hard Drive Capacity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi;

I have a macbook pro 15 inch which I have made an 80GB partition and installed Windoze XP via Bootcamp.
According to GetInfo my main mac partition is:
Capacity: 151.88GB
Available: 85.87GB
Used: 66GB

Which only leaves about 19GB spare.

I only noticed this yesterday when I was carrying out a 7 Pass Erase of Spare Space whilst it was taking place I tried to download something and got an insufficient space warning.

I didn't think I had much installed or stored but maybe mac apps take up loads of space, I have only loaded Concept Draw and Mac Office several CDs in my itunes and a couple hundred photos.

Is there any applications that I can get for the mac to seek out any space hoards / large folders or files to trim this down?

How does mac OS compare to XP when a Hard Drive is more than 3/4 full?

Ta

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi;

According to GetInfo my main mac partition is:
Capacity: 151.88GB
Available: 85.87GB
Used: 66GB

Which only leaves about 19GB spare.

Ta

Ah - sorry I just downloaded a very cool app called Disk Inventory X which confirmed that I have misread the Get Info Details, of the 151.88GB I have only used 66GB I was reading that of the 151.88GB there was only 85.87GB available of which I had used 66GB..........DOH!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Disk Inventory X is sweet, I also run the Windows variant WinDirStat on my Windows machines, same basic UI and whatnot, really cool app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.