For programmers...

Reaction score
Hello friends!

I am new in this community and I am happy to be a part of it. I am a long time mac user, however, I am studying to become a software engineer and must have a Windows operating system in order to practice with C/C++ programming, Java, .NET, C#, and other boring stuff. I want to know what kind of Windows is better for me, either to run it native, to emulate it, or some other solution.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
If your going to be learning all those environments, I'd suggest natively running Windows over emulation, better to have direct hardware accesss for things like speed and efficiency. Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
If your going to primarily be coding/programming in Java, Windows is not necessary as Java runs on Linux, Mac, Windows and is not platform specific. C/C++ are not platform specific either. The only time your would really do C/C++ on Windows anymore (over C#) is if you doing low level graphics/ device driver work.

Most jobs in the software industry today are either Java or .NET (more specifically Java EE and .NET). If you really do need to do programming on Windows then native is your best bet. However, a majority of the languages you mentioned will run on other platforms, the only real 'Windows' part would be if you got into Web based development with .NET. Java EE of course is cross platform.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.