mac mini as media center

Reaction score
just got my mac mini to set up to my samsung 46" 1080p/ 60Hz lcd tv to serve as a media center.. i am using a hdmi cable for my connection via the mini dvi to dvi and a dvi to hmdi adapter. for my audio, i just have a standard 3.5mm cable from my mini to my tv but i cant get any audio out of the tv seakers. ive tested the cable and its a good cable.. anyone know what im doing wrong?? im assuming its something that i need to configure with the TV but im just guesing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
This is exactly what I was planning on doing with my Mini (using Plex as the media server).

As for the audio, this was one of the things I was wondering about. I guess my first question would be if your connected to the right source for the audio. What cable are you using? I assume it's a mini-jack to RCA? Can you try playing something via the Mac mini and switching between video sources to see if you can hear anything?

OP
L
Reaction score
i was trying some different things in an attempt to figure this out and the audio from my mini will play over the TV speakers through a different source (PC connected to the TV via a VGA cable) but not through my current set-up mentioned above. im wondering if i need to get a "high definition" audio cable if my display is connected via HDMI? im not even sure if there is such a thing? any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
So at least we know audio of any sort is possible and it's definitely not the cable.

The video adapters look good but as we know, even though your going to HDMI, the audio does not go along with it. The reason I asked about the 'source' is that it seems to me that audio and the HDMI aren't matching. I wonder if the TV is expecting audio from your HDMI connection and as a result, isn't allowing/playing output from that particular HDMI source.

It sounds like for the Mini connection you may have to use VGA if you want video/audio from the same source. I know that the Mini supports audio-optical out using a TOSLink connector. This may be the route you need to take to get both working with your current setup. Of course, your TV would have to support this, or you would have to have a separate receiver.

I am by no means an A/V expert but that's what it sounds like to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
wmprice1240 is right. Your TV is looking for audio from the HDMI cable, and since it's not finding anything, you won't get any audio. An optical cable probably won't help in this situation either, unless you can get the TV to use audio from that source.

I have Mini as a media center also, but set up differently. Video is the same, but the audio uses an optical cable to my surround sound system, and all the audio plays from the surround sound.

I've heard of a cable that will let you output sound via USB, and ties in with the HDMI cable from the DVI-HDMI converter, so that audio and video share the same cable. I haven't tried it, or seen it in person, so I don't know if it's available yet, but this may be something to look into.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to open up the user manual for your specific model.
As much as I dislike Samsung, they at least have it right on some of their models knowing that folks will be trying to connect a computer.

Some of their models are designed with HDMI 1 to be used with a DVI device and they have a separate DVI audio in with RCA plugs which will work for sound. But, only with HDMI 1.

Check your model. That may tide you over until you're ready for a surround system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent! What was the solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Excellent! What was the solution?

I would say it was what "bobtomay" suggested. My Samsung 42" Plasma is like that. One of the HDMI inputs is able to take in audio from a set of RCA audio inputs next to it. The other HDMI inputs will not be compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.