Airport Connection Problems as well as Mac Apps Problems

Reaction score
Ok so when i first got my macbook a few weeks ago, whenever I closed it and opened it back up, it would pick up my wifi right away and let me go online. However a few days ago it started acting weird. Now when i open it up it says it connects, but actually isnt and firefox wont connect either. To fix this i have to go to Airport Assistant and reenter my password EVERYTIME. It gets quite annoying.

In addition to this it just started not opening up my mac apps such as quicktime and itunes correctly. It just says that the app quit unexpectedly and won't so it won't open.

I've tried everything to fix these problems but don't know what else to do. I'm relatively new to mac within the past year or so. Do you guys think i need a system restore? I just want to fix these problems. PLEASE if you guys need any more info about it ill post it! Thanks for helping guys.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
before you folks go answering - it's only here for the spam link in the sig

and I certainly don't mind you proving me wrong by coming back and removing the spam from your sig

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry about that i actually have these problems. I just forgot about that signature. Its gone now. Please guys help me out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1st off - saying you've tried "everything" does not give us much to go on besides telling you to do things you may have already tried.

On the Airport issue: System Preferences - Network - Airport highlighted on the left, click the Advanced button bottom right

Now on the Airport tab - remove all networks shown in the "Preferred Networks" box. click ok and I would log out and back in - back to the same place and add your home network. See if this works for you.

For the apps- let us know which MBP you have, what version of OS X you have and the version of iTunes (if it will stay open long enough) and what you happen to be doing when iTunes closes or does it just not even open.

One of the first things you can try is to move all the iTunes preference files to the desktop - log out and back in. If it works you can trash them all.

They are located at: Users / your user / Library / Preferences
and will be called com.Apple.iTunes.xxxxx.plist

If the first Airport suggestion doesn't work, next step would be to try dumping the airport plist file.
Think you'll need to go back after that and re-add your network to the Preferred Networks.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I think i might have gotten the airport problem figured out. Dont know how long it will last tho.

As for the apps, it won't let me drag and drop anything to the desktop? Why is this? I cant drag folders, plist, or apps? It didnt used to do this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to the suggestions given you by bobtomay, you might want to try creating a test user account, then open the apps to see if they behave themselves. Post back and let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.