Why we appreciate grammar here at Mac Forums!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There is some history of the subject on 'Wiki' for some background and if this lot hadn't bothered we'd probably all be making grunts and signs at each other.

History of English grammars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be some gud readin there, Bro . . . ;)

Seriously, my post wasn't intended as a jab at you (or anyone else in particular) just the uplifting of construct over content in general.

Bad grammar can be a hindrance, but bad content (or no content) is impossible. For my taste I would prefer to see posts with fewer words and more information. And generally find grammatic and spelling transgression amusing more than troubling.

EDIT: And, FWIW, sometimes grunts and signs can be the most efficient and effective communication. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Be some gud readin there, Bro . . . ;)

Seriously, my post wasn't intended as a jab at you (or anyone else in particular) just the uplifting of construct over content in general.

Bad grammar can be a hindrance, but bad content (or no content) is impossible. For my taste I would prefer to see posts with fewer words and more information. And generally find grammatic and spelling transgression amusing more than troubling.

Hey Razormac, no offence taken, I have the same take on things. It's hard for us over here when we've had so many invaders bringing their own languages to the table.
I studied English at 'A' Level which is probably why the issue makes me cringe sometimes :)

EDIT: Ha Ha I just saw your edit..... I think I prefer "Can I get a cheeseburger?" :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Ha Ha I just saw your edit..... I think I prefer "Can I get a cheeseburger?" :)

As it is fast approaching lunch, I too would like a cheeseburger! ;D

And, I might add, I would gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger (or cheeseburger) today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As it is fast approaching lunch, I too would like a cheeseburger! ;D

And, I might add, I would gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger (or cheeseburger) today.

LOL!! Mr Wimpy......where's mi spinach ahkkakakakakak !!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Email I rec'd from a general contractor today.

This work is approved. I will return you proposal signed today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, it's typical from this one. I think he's an Aggie.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's typical from this one. I think he's an Aggie.

Ah then! It's surprising he has figured out how to use a keyboard. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can someone explain what an Aggie is please ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can someone explain what an Aggie is please ?

Yes . . . but probably not to an Aggie. ;D

EDIT: An Aggie s a graduate or current student at Texas A&M, a large and fairly prestigious Engineering School in Texas, that due to regional rivalries is the standard butt of many jokes.

EDIT2: I used 'prestigious' so that any Aggies who happen to read this wouldn't realize I was complimenting them. I wouldn't want to establish any bad precedents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes . . . but probably not to an Aggie. ;D

EDIT: An Aggie s a graduate or current student at Texas A&M, a large and fairly prestigious Engineering School in Texas, that due to regional rivalries is the standard butt of many jokes.

EDIT2: I used 'prestigious' so that any Aggies who happen to read this wouldn't realize I was complimenting them. I wouldn't want to establish any bad precedents.

Ha ha...I'm well out of the way of any argie-bargie that may ensue then :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Texas A&M, a large and fairly prestigious Engineering School in Texas

Well, yeah, they have an Engineering College, but according to a fairly recent U.S. News survey, engineering wasn't even among the top five most popular majors there.

From Wikipedia:
Texas A&M University (often referred to as A&M or TAMU) is a coeducational public research university located in College Station, Texas, United States. It is the flagship institution of the Texas A&M University System, the sixth-largest university in the United States and the largest university in Texas.

The first public institution of higher education in Texas, the school opened on October 4, 1876[14] as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. Originally, the admission was limited to white males and education consisted of agricultural and military techniques.

So, as you see, the M does not stand for Military, as many people presume, but it does point to its heritage as a place to study engineering. I looked it up out of my own curiosity, and due to my failing memory! (I knew this stuff at one time!)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, yeah, they have an Engineering College, but according to a fairly recent U.S. News survey, engineering wasn't even among the top five most popular majors there.

Interesting, I have always thought of it as predominantly an Engineering School. Wonder if this is a change in priorities or always been that way and I never knew?

EDIT: Read the article you excerpted from. Looks like it has been a gradual shift beginning after WWII. As late as 2008 the College of Engineering was still the biggest part of the University, with 20.5% of the student body.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Read the article you excerpted from. Looks like it has been a gradual shift beginning after WWII. As late as 2008 the College of Engineering was still the biggest part of the University, with 20.5% of the student body.

Hmmm. All the more interesting that USN&WR did not have engineering listed among the most popular majors.

Darn! I put an apostrophe in it's in my last post and I can't take it out now.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm. All the more interesting that USN&WR did not have engineering listed among the most popular majors.

Darn! I put an apostrophe in it's in my last post and I can't take it out now.

Fixed it for you. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.