Time Capsule and Router

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a look around here, and didn't really find my answer. I have a BT Homehub, aside from BT being the worst at everything, can I use a Time Capsule/Router as my main connection to the internet and get rid of the BT rubbish?

I was thinking of getting the 1TB today, and throwing out the BT crap.

Or would I have to connect it via the ethernet cable, and then connect everything to the Router?

Thanks!

Jay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
??? - Is your BT homehub the modem or does it connect to the modem?

The TC is not a modem. It will need to be connected via ethernet to the modem and then can be used as the router for all your other devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
And in addition, I would make sure to call your service provider (if it is indeed a modem) and make absolutely sure they support external routers. I remember trying to connect my mother's DSL system to an external router at one point and due to the limitations of her plan this was not possible.

Both Time Capsure and the AEBS are not cheap so it pays to know these things up front.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys, the phone engineer came later today, and fixed the problem. Its a broadband ADSL modem.

Anyway, its a new build and it turns out the builders didn't get the phone company to instal the line and did it themselfs. But he fixed it, and what was a 2-3 megs is now a 4meg.

Lucky I didn't go out and buy it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.