CD Eject not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Hi
First time poster, quite sometime lurker...on my macbook pro, when I click the eject button which is the top-right most button, the cd does not eject. I have to switch to the winxp virtual machine running on vmware fusion, go to win explorer, right click on the cd to eject it.
In itunes, I want to import an audio cd. But the audio cd is not even recognized in itunes on the mac. Any reason for this?

thanks
Sam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It's a long shot, but have you tried holding the button down for a few seconds? Sometimes it works, oddly enough. You could also try ejecting the disk with Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) or by using the eject icon in the left pane of a Finder window, assuming the disk is recognized by Finder.

How old is the disk? Is it scratched or dirty? Sometimes the slot drives in these laptops can be picky about what disks they want to recognize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
If you are running VMWare/Parallels etc, often times the VM will jump ahead of the Mac and latch onto the external drive and other peripherals. In VMWare fusion there should be a button down at the bottom of the VM Window that says something to the effect of

'Disconnect CD/DVD drive' (or something similar). If you click this, the control of the device will be returned to the Mac and you should be able to eject normally.

I believe this option is provided from the VMWare menu as well.l

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
Thanks to everyone that responded! wmprice, you hit the right button! The CD drive was indeed held by vmware fusion. Once disconnected, itunes immediately recognized by cd and even got the CDDB names.

Thanks a bunch Guys!!
Sam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.