iGiveUp connecting PS3

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I specifically registered here just because I give up playing with connection settings with my Macbook and Playstation 3. But here are the specs so there are no questions about hardware:

I have Mac OS X 10.5.7 with all updates installed on a Macbook (purchased this April, 2009) and BootCamp'ed Windows XP Professional SP3 as second OS. The reasons for installing Windows will be clear as I explain my issue.

I go Online using my iPhone 3GS OS 3.0 with tethering enabled. I can easily tether via USB using Apple Mobile Device Port or Bluetooth PAN (Both work great on Mac OS X, but in Windows XP only Apple Port works). Bluetooth PAN works in Windows too, because I can "ping" using CMD, but IE8 or even Safari installed on Windows XP cannot recognize the connection. But that's not the problem. But we're clear on my Internet settings.

Next is my Playstation 3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 edition with OS version 2.80. I do have Ethernet cable hooked up to my Macbook to get online with my Playstation. No router. Why? Well, if I can get online with my Playstation through Ethernet port when I'm in Windows, I should be able to do the same in Mac OS X.

Now here is the problem. When I connect my PS3 via Ethernet to my Macbook, I have to be in Windows to get online . The same procedure in Mac OS X doesn't seem to work. Here are the numbers that Windows XP displays when I type "ipconfig /all" in CMD:
For the PS3 ethernet port:
DHCP = No
IP: 192.168.0.1
SM: 255.255.255.0
Router: For some reason = blank
For Macbook:
IP routing: Yes (Remember, this is a shared connection)
DHCP = Yes
IP: 192.168.20.2
DHCP Server: 192.168.20.1
Router: 192.168.20.1
DNS: xxx.xx.x.xxx (I know the numbers and they work OK)
In Playstation 3 Network Settings everything is set to Auto or Auto-Detect.

Now - Above is what Windows XP displays on Macbook when I share Apple Mobile Device Port with my Local Area Connection 2 (Ethernet). All I have to do is to Right-Click on my "Apple Mobile Device Port", Select "Advanced" tab, and click on "Share my connection with Local Area Connection 2". And no problem.

Now in Mac OS X I do the same. Hook up cables, and in my System Preferences I click on Network and I see my Ethernet 6 (or en6) which is my iPhone tethering with the following settings:
DHPC: Yes
IP: 192.168.20.2
Router: 192.168.20.1
DNS: xxx.xx.x.xxx

Now I can get online with my Mac just fine. But here what it displays for my Ethernet -aka- Playtstaion3 connection:
DHPC: Yes
IP: 169.254.254.200 (Self-assigned IP)
SM: 255.255.0.0
Router and DNS are left blank.
Now I even tried to Disable DHCP for this connection and Manually enter IP 169.254.254.200, and changed Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0, but it doesn't connect.
In my Playstation3 I set it up as Wired Connection, and set everything to Auto too, just like in Windows XP configurations. And here's interesting part - When it's all automatic - it cannot obtain IP address from my Macbook. But as soon as I enter it manually - It obtains the IP address but failes to connect to the Internet.

I also tried to enter the same numbers that Windows was giving me in CMD - IP as 192.168.0.1 in both Mac and PS3, and still doesn't help. Now, some people in some threads suggested connecting modem directly to PS3 and getting the numbers. But as you can see, I don't have a modem, I'm tethering through iPhone, which is kind of a modem, but I cannot connect it to PS3 and get the numbers. Now I can get online just fine with Macbook, and with my Playstation 3 only when I'm in Windows XP, which was the primary reason to BootCamp it on my Macbook.

Now everyone says, and I agree that Mac is better than PC, could this be a protocol, OS or compatibility issue, or is Windows XP better? Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Did you go to System Preferences-Sharing and enable Internet Sharing over your ethernet port?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, I did. I selected "Share my Internet connection from Ethernet6 (en6)" which is my tethered iPhone connection with "Ethernet" which is my Playstation3 wired connection. And I also checked the box Internet Sharing which prompts me a message about disrupting network settings and I click on Start. Still, no luck:(

Reaction score
The same problem

Hi, I also have my iphone 3gS with an unlimited data plan,
I have no problem to tether it to my MAcbook pro, but when I share the connection and try to connect (wireless or wired) my PS3, happens exactly the same. I dont have a PC please Heeeelp!!!!!!!

The funny thing is that with other devices (computer or cellphones) the shared network does works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Did you do the following? Select your Bluetooth PAN or DUN, (depending if you use the cable or the bluetooth), from the dropdown box, check eithernet and make sure internet sharing is also checked on the left arrow.

screenshot20090930at600.png

Reaction score
Yes I already do that

Yes I already do that, I need help maybe it is not possible. but I wanna know
To stop this tech punish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.