Hotel Wi Fi Changed my Mail Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
I have just returned from Hong Kong and found that the hotel Wi Fi changed my iPhone mail settings.

On arrival at the hotel lobby I received an email even with the Data Roaming turned off, reading it asked me to log onto the hotel Wi Fi, as it was a quick trip I declined, spent two days there and returned home.

On landing back in the UK I noticed my iPhone mail was not downloading, either via Wi Fi or data. After much syncing, scratching of my head etc. I looked at the mail settings to notice that the Authentication had been changed from Password to MD5 Challenge-Response, on changing it back my email sprang back to life, but to make matters worse it decided to download ALL my mail from the server, even though I had read the vast majority of them.

To make double sure I had not dreamt this whole thing I rang a colleague who had been on the same trip, he had had the same problem, but had not worked out how to get his mail back. He checked his settings and his had also been changed.

So:-

How can this happen?

Is it a bug that I should report to Apple?

Can I stop it in future?

Just to add more information this only happened on my POP mail accounts the imap account I had was fine and didn't change.

Any ideas?

Thanks

GPs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the declining has accepted the mail settings to that of the hotel. Take it you used the broadband services at the hotel?

Now you have returned the settings to normal you should have no more problems.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
No I didn't use the hotel internet, by declining meant I just deleted the email and that was it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.