running macbook pro with macbook hdd

Reaction score
Ok thats my question ! I'm new here, and I suspect it is a stupid question already:D I had a macbook, of the first generation, which is now gone and all i have left is the hard disk, with important information and programs installed, including XP through bootcamp. I might be soon having access to a friends macbook pro, and so I was wondering if it is possible to have my macbook's hard disk replacing his hdd, so I dont mess around with his files etcetera, and use the computer with my information and programs like i had them in my macbook. Would this be in anyway possible?? For this I wont be having access to any recovery disks. Also, is there any risk for the computer with doing this operation?

Any help appreciated,
thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
All you need is one of these and you will have access to ready access to your files.

You can not, however, "boot" the machine from this hard drive as the install would be tailored to your old MacBook.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hey man thanks for the prompt reply. I wasn't all very clear and what I meant is what you say, to boot the machine using my hard drive, not only to access my files. You have already said this is not possible. So the computer wouldn't start at all if this was done? Not this case, but what would happen if they were the same model, would then work?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
It will work if the two models were released around the same time. OS X has the drivers for all current Macs installed by default, so swapping the hard drives shouldn't be a problem. However if the MacBook Pro is newer then the MacBook, the installation might not contain the right drivers.

I have done this several times and it has always worked, but sometimes if the correct drivers are not present it will default to a generic driver. If this happens you may lack hardware acceleration for video, the sound might not work, wifi, etc. It should still boot though, and you should be able to retrieve your files.

However, if your MacBook is running Tiger and the MBP is running Leopard, and came out after Leopard was released, it will not work at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey man thanks for the prompt reply. I wasn't all very clear and what I meant is what you say, to boot the machine using my hard drive, not only to access my files. You have already said this is not possible. So the computer wouldn't start at all if this was done? Not this case, but what would happen if they were the same model, would then work?

Thanks again

The device I linked to (which is available for about $20 US in just about any decent computer store) will allow you to use your MacBook's hard drive as an external drive on the MacBook Pro (or any Mac). This way, you can fetch your files.

What might not work (and I'll defer to ADK on this one, as I haven't personally tried it) is to use your drive as a boot device (i.e. load the operating system which is installed on the drive).

OP
O
Reaction score
I see. Thanks dude, very helpful. The macbook was running Tiger; not sure about the MBP, but im thinking it might be Leopard. About what you say of not finding the drivers and loading generic ones, once the computer is running can the drivers be downloaded for devices that might not have been recognized and others updated? And will I have a too hard time when booting it to XP (the macbook had XP with bootcamp)?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
As for downloading the drivers, I doubt it. And I have never tried this with Windows, so I don't know about that either.

In reality what cwa107 told you is probably your best option. I was just pointing out that it CAN be done, although there almost certainly WILL be problems. Your best bet is to use the adapter and just transfer over the files you need.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
cwa, I need to get one of those for my repertoire.

Have been wondering ever since I saw chscag mention this handy tool, what do you need to power the drive? Surely you're not just plugging in the SATA or IDE cable and it works?

edit: nevermind - says it comes with external power adapter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.