iBook G4 Mac OS X Install

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to reinstall all of my software on my 4-year old iBook G4. I have the original Mac OS X Install Disc, but my iBook doesn't recognize the disc, it just keeps ejecting it. It recognizes other discs so I am not sure what the problem is. Do I need to buy a newer version of OS X? Any suggestions? Thanks, Mitch White

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It probably doesn't make a difference...but what version of OS X are you trying to install?...there are different versions!

Is the OS X install disk CD's or DVD? Again this shouldn't matter since all iBook G4's have DVD drives (which can read CD's as well).

Have you tried booting your computer while holding down the "c" key (Mac OS install disk in the drive)?

Have you tried when booting up from the HDD (with the Install disk in the drive)...going to "System Preferences"...and selecting the Mac OS X install disk as your startup disk?

Is your Mac OS X install disk dirty or damaged?

Give these ideas a try if you haven't already,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
all iBook G4's have DVD drives

Actually some didn't come with DVD drives, only CD drives. My parents have an iBook G4 that has just a CD-ROM, not even a burner.

OP
M
Reaction score
My iBook G4 is currently running OS X 10.4.11. The disk is version 10.3.5. The disk appears to be in good condition, I had never opened it until today. no visible scratches or dirt. How do I tell if it's a DVD or a CD? This is the disc that came with the hardware, so hopefully it should be compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I assume you're doing a clean install then? 10.3.5 is Panther and not Tiger. Do you have just one disc? If so it's a DVD, Panther came on 3 CD's.
You can't install earlier versions of software over new ones without doing a clean install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually some didn't come with DVD drives, only CD drives. My parents have an iBook G4 that has just a CD-ROM, not even a burner.

Actually...go to Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996, and check out the iBook G4 specs. You will find that they all have DVD drives!

Are you sure that your parents iBook is:

- a G4, it could be a G3
- maybe they got the drive replaced
- maybe they had some sort of special order when they purchased it.

To the best of my knowledge...all G4 iBook's came with a disk drive capable of reading DVD's.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
No, it's a G4, original drive. However I did just find out it came from a school originally, so it is probably a special model for education use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's a G4, original drive. However I did just find out it came from a school originally, so it is probably a special model for education use.

If it came from a school, more than likely they chose to get the CD drive rather than DVD.

The school probably saved a few bucks...and when you're purchasing say 50-100 of them (possibly more or less)...I guess that adds up to a decent savings.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
My ibook has a combo drive. And it still ejects the DVD all the time, I think the drive might be dying out on me tho. Cause mine worked after trying the 10th time, it took the disc so I installed Mac os 10.5. It was rough times though. I didn't think they ibooks came with anything less then a combo cd burner/dvd reading drive. But mines also the generation before the macbooks came out so mine also has a 1.33 G4 in it too. My .2c

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, I am the original poster who has the problem... to answer the questions, my iBook is definitely a G4, and I bought it originally as an individual from the Apple store in Atlanta, no special customization. I have two original install disks that read, "Mac OS version 10.3.5" and "Disk version 1.0". I also have a third original disk that reads "Additional Software and Apple Hardware Test". It also says "AHT version 2.2.1" and "Disk Version 1.0". I think my disk drive is just hinky, I have tried to do a clean install rebooting and holding down the "C" key, I have tried to insert the first disk in the disk drive, and in neither case will the computer even recognize the disk. Any other suggestions from anyone? I would like to do a complete clean install of all my software if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If your Mac has a firewire port (it should) then you could try an external dvd writer and install from that. Probably cheaper and easier than replacing the internal one.
It seems that the disc drive has died.

OP
M
Reaction score
The weird thing is that other discs work fine, e.g. my Dreamweaver disc showed up correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then maybe the discs are damaged, because even if they were the wrong ones for the machine they would show.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.