Mouse Freeze and Keyboard not working

Reaction score
Greetings all, I have a similar issue to others in the freeze category with a twist of sorts.

I had lots of problems off and on with the wireless keyboard and mouse and replaced them with the USB versions.

Last night (while running Safari) the mouse froze, the red light (on the bottom) was still on, however the keyboard appeared to be non-functional as evidenced by pressing the CapsLock and not getting any response from the LED.

On a whim, I unplugged both keyboard and mouse and reattached - no change.

The last time this happened was last week and I just hit the power button (I didn't know what else to do) and all was well. This time it sort of sounded like the hard drive or a fan (?) spun up briefly and stopped and while the red light on the bottom of the mouse was on, there was no further indication of any activity including having just the the black screen and the keyboard appeared to be non-functional.

I completely removed power from the system for about an hour and tried again, still no joy.

This morning for the heck of it I hit the power and everything seems to be working fine.

So I guess the question is: since the machine is under Apple care, I was thinking of calling for service, but can they tell if anything is wrong if it is working when it is checked? OR is there a better explanation for what is going on - like a simple cure? What do you folks suggest?

Thanks and sorry for the verbose post.
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Make sure that everything is plugged in well and correctly. You might have just had a process overload that froze the computer up. Just restart next time it happens by using command+control+power button. Or if the keyboard won't work, just force shutdown and hold down the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the keyboard is plugged directly into the machine and NOT through a USB port?

OP
T
Reaction score
Everything is plugged in correctly. The top left of the machine is very hot and this has happened twice more.

I'm calling Apple and in the mean time the old Dell windows box is working perfectly well.

Thanks for the help tho....

OP
T
Reaction score
I thought I'd write back and let everybody know the resolution:

It was a power supply apparently causing overheating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.