Isn't a Mac supposed to be easier to use than Windows???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
OKAY.
I do like my Mac iBook but there are things that annoy me!!!

I'm trying to burn some pics to a cd, if i use iPhoto to copy my pics, it will only read in the iPhoto software which i think is ridiculous. But fine I have no choice. I exported the files to a regular folder. Great, done deal. Now I insert a blank cd and for some strange reason it is not being recognized. At first I thought it was the cd but i have no problems using it in itunes when i did some troubleshooting. So it's not the cd and I went into system preferences for cd burning and everything seems perfectly fine. What is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can access iPhoto cd's in any system. They are in a folder hierarchy (iPhoto Library -> Year -> Month -> Day)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
iPhoto file system is a bit complicated to access it w/o the program, in my opinion if you just want to burn pictures in a CD for any system just use drag and drop from iPhoto to whatever you may use to burn CDs.
I have installed and desinstalled iPhoto about 5 times (my iBook is less than 2 weeks old) and finally i keep it. I really think is a love it or leave it program.

M

mangoSharingan

Well, obviously if you have been using Windows PCs all your life, then some things will be different with Macs, and may even annoy you. Whether a Mac is easier to use than Windows or not is debatable but don't let a few 'differences' put you off. You will grow to love the Mac OS X operating system.

W

warrenbert

I am a recent switcher and I really like Mac OS X. I hate iPhoto. It's file management for AOL users. Just insert your CDR, drag and drop the files you want to the CDR on your desktop and then right click and burn. Oh, and if you aren't using Sidetrack to enable right-clicking, it's a must for those who learned Windows first.

Like others have said, there are adjustments to be made, but worth it in the long run. Remember when you were first learning to use a computer with say, Windows 95? Talk about frustrating...

K

Kokopelli

warrenbert said:
Remember when you were first learning to use a computer with say, Windows 95? Talk about frustrating...

God, you make me feel old. I had my B.S. in CompSci before Windows 95 came out. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
i'm not a big fan of iphoto either. this is my first impression, as i haven't really had the time to play with it. it does seem to be a bit more frustrating than i'd like.

does anyone have experience with adobe photoshop elements? i used an older version on my pc and i was really happy with it. comments, concerns, experiences.....

W

warrenbert

I used to use "photodeluxe" which came bundled with one of my first digital cameras. Did everything I wanted, was totally intuitive and ran great on Win98. I carried it over to 2K and XP and it started locking up or refused to perform certain functions.

Since switching to the Mac, I bought Elements and I was able to use the upgrade discount with my old Photodeluxe CD. It's fair at best. It has a built-in Photo Browser that's sort of neat; but hideously slow. You can double click a thumbnail to edit a photo. It has an "easy edit" function with slider bars like in iPhoto '05. Only has lighting adjustments though. All the other functions are buried in long menus. You can't change the default file saved format to say, jpeg--it always defaults to Photoshop and then you have to change it. There are a lot of extra clicks and dialogs that don't really need to be there.

I think most people just want to do common tasks:

Rotate, adjust brightness/contrast, adjust color, crop and resize.

Seems like every application wants to try to organize and email stuff for you, but it's never an intuitive process and doesn't seem to save any time. you just spend more time trying to figure out what the heck they were thinking.

Just my two cents. If I were a programmer, I'd build a better app.

In my opinion, iLife just wants to be a web/sales portal on your desktop. Apple wants to direct you to iTunes and their photo services. The total package is less than the sum of its parts.

Oh, by the way, I learned DOS on an IBM AT. Just threw in the 95 because I wasn't sure how old people were around here. My first computer experience was playing Hangman against some gigantic thing over at Stanford in the early 70s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i am not really sure about iPhoto either. I bought my iBook here on the road and havent been home to try it out with my digi cam. i really like the winXP filmstrip view in explorer and i usually use MS Photo Editor to make and big changes in the picture. i am trying to learn photshop to do all of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
iPhoto is a very simple program that tries to aim too high in my opinion. I use it mostly to browse photos. I had all my pictures in the same folder in the before iBook time, even keeping the original name (consider from pict0000 to pict3000+), so iPhoto did what i never care to do, sort all the pictures by date. I have it configured to open Photoshop Elements to edit the pictures and keep the results away from iPhoto's Library, so i only use it to browse the (original) pictures.
I'm pretty sure any other photo software is a lot better, but this one is good to browse if you like to see your pictures sort by date. Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop Elements can do the same, but they are bigger programs so take longer to load, thats why i only use Elements to edit, not to browse.
And by the way if you hate iPhoto it doesn't mean you hate Panther.

T

thedon

try using roxio's toast to burn ure cd's.... if ure use to windows then this would be the easiest way since u probably use either roxio or nero to burn ure cd's on windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.