Wireless connection "default"?

Reaction score
Is there a way to set a wireless network connection to a default? I have a router set up in my house for my internet connection, that I have set up through a router. There is also a network from my church next door that I can pick up at the house as well, but is really weak most of the time. How do I set my home as default, so that it is connecting to it all the time instead of the others?

Thanks for the help!

B-Worthey

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Network

With Airport highlighted on the left side - click on Advanced at the bottom right.

Go to the Airport tab. There will be a box for Preferred Networks. If empty add your home network, If populated, delete networks you don't want and/or rearrange the order of the networks so that your home network is in the top position.

Reaction score
...and don't forget to click the lock!

Note that to change preferences such as your preferred wireless access point, you will need to click on the lock icon ('Click the lock to make changes') at the bottom left of the preferences window first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.