Problem upgrading hard drive

Reaction score
I have MacBook Pro model A1226 with 120GB hard drive. Yesterday I tried to upgrade hard drive to 500GB. I followed instructions and was able to get to the point when I had to unscrew the two torx-6 screws from hard drive bracket (the one on the right). That's when I got stuck. The screws are not stripped but it looks like they had one side of them flattened at the factory to prevent removal (I bought the MacBook Pro new so this was the first time case was opened). Now the torx-6 screwdriver cannot unscrew them.

Did anybody ever came across something like that while upgrading their hard drive? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Follow the guide in my sig.

If the drive mounting screws are stripped then use a pliers to grip each one and unscrew.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I didn't get it pre installed. Check out my cloning vid ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Chris,
How different would a mid-2007 MBP be for swapping out the HD? Also, if I do this myself, will it void the remainder of my warranty coverage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
MacBook Pro model A1226... That would be the Mid/Late 2007 2.2GHz model then yes?

So, so far you can't get the mounting screws out at all?
Can you get any grip at all with the Torx T6?

To jrichard012:
Replacing the Hard Drive on Pre Late 2008 MBP:
YouTube - How to replace a hard drive in a 15" MacBook Pro

As for the warranty...
The current Post Late 2008 models you can replace the Hard Drive as much as you want.
The older models... I really don't know.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply. I can't get any grip with Torx-6. I have tried pliers but the screws are too small. I am wondering if I took it to Apple store and paid them to do the upgrade, would they be able to replace hard drive?

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I'm trying to upgrade my hard drive in my 15" MBP late 2008 model, but can't unscrew the single screw that's holding the HD down, i.e. the screw on the black plastic bracket(?). I spent a lot of time trying to unscrew it using a philips 00 screwdriver but wasn't able to. eventually I stopped as I didn't want the head of the screw to get dis-shaped.

Furthermore, tried calling the apple tech support and they say I'll void my warranty if I go ahead with this. can someone please help me unscrew this single f'n screw!!

Thanks so much!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The main key is to this is to have quality tools for this, not tools from the $2 shop bargain bin.
Some of these screws will have locktight on the end of them, or just require a bit of elbow grease.
As long as it's the right tools, and high quality, the heads shouldn't strip.
If really uneasy, best to go to a qualified computer repairer and have them do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I had to use a pair of pliers to remove the two torque screws on my factory drive on my MBP. Fairly easy. Make sure you put a good grip on the screw with the pliers and hold the handle with your hand a little further away down the handle to give yourself good torque. It should twist right out. Also try to find a wide piece of rubberband and wrap that around the screw head to give the pliers good grip if needed.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I have found that having the right tools for the job usually work, even if the torx screws are tight. If the heads had stripped, it may be because the head size was off a bit.

The genius bar will be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.