No Sound

Reaction score
I have owned a MacBook for over a year. With my MacBook, I have always used a set of fairly cheap noise-canceling headphones. One day, after plugging them in and after I began to play a song, I noticed that audio was only coming out of the right ear speaker.

Conceding that it must be because the headphones I owned were cheap and because I had stepped on them too many times, I discarded them and purchased a brand new top-of-the-line noise-canceling headset. After plugging it in and playing a song, I noticed that, this time, audio was only coming out of the left ear speaker. Thus, there must be an issue with my MacBook.

Help!

P.S. In the Sound page of System Preferences, the volume is turned all the way up. That is not the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If sound is playing OK through both of the MacBook speakers (headphones not plugged in) then it's probably due to a loose or possibly internally bent (misaligned) headphone jack. Try gently wiggling the headphone plug after inserting it in the jack to see if sound returns to both sides. Or, try pulling the headphone plug slightly out of the jack to see if the sound returns. Not much you can do to repair it since the machine has to be disassembled to get at the jack.

Sometimes you can align the internal clips of the jack again by using a very small tweezers or a narrow hook type pin. Even if you can get the jack working, it's usually not long before the same thing happens again. Is your MacBook still under warranty or Apple care?

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.