Snow Leopard- Is It really necessary? Just A Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation
Ok so I bought an IMac G5 2ghz (as i have said many-a-times here) and it came loaded with 10.5.7 Leopard. Now in September as all of you may know Snow Leopard is coming out. I was wondering is is REALLLLLLY necessary? and is it different from Leopard? I hear it resembles Windows 7???? or something like that... i dont know. but does someone have a screenshot? or info regarding it? like if it is necessary.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Snow Leopard is for Intel Macs only. It fully supports the newer Intel 64-Bit CPUs and many cores at the same time.

It will not run or install on your G5 so no, you do not need it as it will not work! :D

No, it's nothing like Windows 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Snow Leopard

No upgrade is ever absolutely necessary for a computer user, but most people do upgrade (and you'll be able to do it for 29 UK pounds) to take advantage of whatever improvements there are.

By coincidence, the new issue of MacFormat (just out) has a feature article entitled, "9 things you'll love about Snow Leopard" - they are:
1. an improved Finder;
2. a new QuickTime
3. a better version of Preview
4. updates to iCal and Address Book (providing sync with Google)
5. better Grab
6. refined Stacks options
7. Expose now in the Dock
8. enhanced accessibility features (for sight impaired, etc.)
9. new tools in System Preferences

and most built in operations run as 64 bit applications, not 32 bit.

That seems enough for my money :) However, it's a little academic for you, since your G5 isn't Intel-based.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok ok ok so it is Intel based... uhm, will ALL updates there after Snow Leopard be Intel :( because i love my computer >.<

T

todd51

ok ok ok so it is Intel based... uhm, will ALL updates there after Snow Leopard be Intel :( because i love my computer >.<

Most likely. This is Apples big OS that will help switch people from using the older processors to the newer Intels. Don't worry though, you have a perfectly good computer and it will last you many more years!

They will also continute to release security updates and patches for Leopard, even after Snow Leopard comes out. Leopard is only on 10.5.7 right now...Snow Leopard will be 10.6.0. I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 more updates for Leopard. I think Tiger went up to 10.5.11? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thats a bit of good news. but the store i bought the computer from gave me a 60 day satisfaction warrantee. meaning if at anytime withing 3 months of purchasing date, i can upgrade for free if i get one that was the exact same price as this one, or if i wanted a major upgrade i can pay out the difference.

If i decided to go Intel BEFORE THAT IS UP would that be a good idea? I mean i am a computer person, I like to upgrade, i like to be up to date on things hahahaha X3.

Its just being thrown into the world of macs and saying "**** you PC" was a biiiig jump, i am not use to all the updates that this computer offers. (PS my PC was infested with virus' i have NO idea why XP) so yeah.

would it be a better idea to go for the intel? i dont want to spend it if it is not COMPLETELY NECESSARY hahahahaha with the economy the way it is lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
Interesting question der_kitty is asking, i'd like to know too, would it be wise to move from PPC to Intel?

I think the intel Macs have more flexibility, and you can run windows on it too. I dont suppose you can do that on the PPC, or can you?

OP
der_kitty
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahahahaha who would want to run Windows on a Mac? wouldnt that open it up for a Virus? i am just asking because i am a photographer, and the photoshop i had for my Windows i updated and more than 90% of the tools didnt work on it thats why i switched. plus i like this OS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUch better then Windows. i have been through 98, 2000, XP, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate... all of which i had problems. i always caught virus' for some reason, i got a Mac for the stability.... ANYWAY SORRY OFF TOPIC! but answer this question too coz i am curious "If you run Windows as WELL as Mac on a HD, is it more prone to catch virus'?"

PS also stay focused on my question XP >.< im still not convinced

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hahahahaha who would want to run Windows on a Mac? wouldnt that open it up for a Virus? i am just asking because i am a photographer, and the photoshop i had for my Windows i updated and more than 90% of the tools didnt work on it thats why i switched. plus i like this OS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUch better then Windows. i have been through 98, 2000, XP, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate... all of which i had problems. i always caught virus' for some reason, i got a Mac for the stability.... ANYWAY SORRY OFF TOPIC! but answer this question too coz i am curious "If you run Windows as WELL as Mac on a HD, is it more prone to catch virus'?"

PS also stay focused on my question XP >.< im still not convinced

Running Windows on a Mac is just like running Windows on any other computer. Modern Intel Macs are just PCs, afterall. The difference is in the operating system. So, if you are running Windows and you happen upon an infected program or contract some sort of malware while surfing the web, you would be just as prone to viruses (although it would not impact your Mac's partition, since Windows usually can't even see the partition without help from 3rd party drivers).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For any out there with doubt about Snow Leopard only running in Intel, it's in Apples official specs. Intel CPU.

Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Technical specifications

Also on the Intel Mac question, I would say if you have the $$$, I would get an Intel Mac as more and more even applications are being made Intel only and that will continue as time marches on and when Snow Leopard is released.

As much as I love the Power PC, it's soon going to get in the way and have very little support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
If I were you, I would go for the Intel Mac. PowerPC is fading into obscurity very rapidly now, and they are not going to be supported for much longer. Most new applications are Intel only.

This is not to say that what you have isn't still a good computer, because it will be fine for everyday tasks for quite a long time, as long as you are willing to use older programs. However, even browsing the web on a PowerPC Mac has become a frustrating experience, since code is not being optimized for PowerPC anymore.

I say spend the extra money and at least get one of the early Intel Macs. It is worth the little bit extra and will be useful for much longer.

On the Windows topic.. Windows is not a terrible OS as many seem to think. OS X and Windows both have their place, and while I do prefer OS X for my personal use, I do have a Windows partition for the things OS X can't do, or Windows does better. As long as you are careful and knowledgeable, Windows can be a great OS and will not cause you too many problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.