Mac Pro to TV problem

Reaction score
Hey I have a bit of a problem. I have a mac Pro but I'm using a LCD TV as a screen temporarily until I have chosen a suitable monitor, however when using the dvi to hdmi cable provided by mac i cant see the dock or the top of screen. I heard that there was some software that could help me with this problem because i cant get it to work at all using the mac preferences. Any Help?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Three options

The first is to go into your TV menu and check to see if it has an available adjustment for the picture size. Some will, a lot of them won't.

2nd - Open up System Preferences - Displays - (I'm not at my Mac right now) - click through the different tabs until you find one with overscan and check the box to turn off overscan - You'll now be able to see your menu bar and dock, but you'll have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

3rd - Use SwitchReSX (there's one other app out there I forget what it is - you can search the forum, this question gets asked on an ongoing basis) to manually adjust the resolution until you find one that will fill the screen properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.