Imac Black screen of death?

Reaction score
I love my imac.. but infortunately, it's giving me problems. I have Windows XP partitioned onto the driver (using boot camp) in order to play a game (Star wars Galaxies). well it works fantastic.. I love it. BUT.. about 50-60% of the time if I Alt-Tab. My screen will freeze for 5-6 seconds.. and then the screen goes totally black. It happens after I run it for a while.. or right when i turn it on.. so i don't think it's a heat problem. I tried updating the video card drivers but I can't find anything more up to date then what came on the discs from Mac. Is there anybody else having this problem?

P.S. It doesn't happen on the mac side, that I've seen.. I tried to make it happen on WoW.... and it just won't freeze up.. Thanks!

This is a generation before the current generation mac..So it's new(er) but not brand new. And it's been happening since day 1.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try downloading and installing the Boot Camp 2.1 update. It contains updated drivers and may resolve your video problem. Link

Important note: The file is a Windows executable and must be run from within Windows.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I ran the update but the driver has not changed, same driver version and version date. So I guess mac didn't update that particular driver.
I've been searching for a while and apparently a TON of people are having this problem with this video card (Radeon HD 2600 XT). So I don't think it's a mac problem itself. I just wanted to see if anybody in here has encountered this and how they fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.