Weird sound when I tilt the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook (2.2 Ghz @ 2GB RAM) 500GB
Hi Everyone,

I have a black macbook and for some reason whenever theres a CD in the drive and I tilt the computer theres a disgusting sound that sounds as if something breaking. It's really inconvenient especially at school since the sound is really very loud.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Is the thing on when you are "tilting" it?

OP
rohan.xlr8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by "thing" if you mean computer, then yes the computer is on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Of course that is what I meant. I would not recommend "tilting" your computer when it is on and running. Optical drives and hard drives are not made to operate like that.

OP
rohan.xlr8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i know, but even the slightest move sets the sound off (like carrying the computer from one desk to another)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The only thing I can think of is removing the disc and/or putting it to sleep before moving it. Not much help I know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's never a good idea to move a laptop around while the player is spinning, you can really damage it. It's also not good to move it while the hard drive is spinning, it's always best to put it to sleep and wait for everything inside to stop moving.

If you tilted a home DVD player or desktop computer while it was spinning, it would have a hard time stabilizing and skip, make noise or worse. A laptop is not much different. Just because it's portable doesn't mean you should be tilting it and moving all around while in use. It's not like a Discman that you can carry around while it's on, tilt, run with, etc.

That said, if the sound is unusual even for these circumstances, try taking it to an Apple Store to see what they say about it.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is the disk all scratched up now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Don't tilt it!

OP
rohan.xlr8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no the disk is just fine, its just the sound
the computer never used to make this sound, it only recently started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Maybe it is the sudden motion sensor, parking the hard drive read-heads when you move the computer? It might create a clicking noise. It should not be loud anyway ...

However as others have said, moving the computer around with a CD or DVD in the drive is not recommended. At least if it is spinning. Try moving an Xbox 360 while the disc is spinning and you will witness something "fun" ... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.