AirTunes Connectivity and External drives

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New member here. I'm in the process on making "the switch". I've had enough with PC. In my research I discovered AirTunes. Being an iPhone owner this is even more of a benefit for me. Although Apples website doesn't really answer a question that I have, well two:

1. I know the Express can send and receive wifi, but can they be connected to work as zones via wired connection? I'd prefer wired over wifi, I think they can but not sure.

2. Now granted this was on a PC, but does iTunes really have to be running for the remote app for the iPhone to be able to connect? Is this the same on a mac? And if so could I instead, use a external harddrive plugged into an Airport Extreme with my music and let the Extreme "host" it's own library? Or does it have to be iTunes on a mac? Not sure if this possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
mdfuller is correct. iTunes must be running to use the iPhone remote. You won't be able to plug in an external drive to the Express and play music from it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Duh! I never thought to look on the support page. Man thats too bad about having itunes running. Oh well just an excuse for a mac mini on the TV :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.