Apple Warranty

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm buying the macbook pro 13 2.26ghz model.

I have been given a 12month warranty period by apple.

If i decide to upgrade the RAM 2gb --> 4gb and HDD from 160 --> 500gb...will this make my warranty void?

(Sorry for the noobish questions...this is what years of PC does to you!)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Hey guys!

If i decide to upgrade the RAM 2gb --> 4gb and HDD from 160 --> 500gb...will this make my warranty void?

(Sorry for the noobish questions...this is what years of PC does to you!)

Thanks!

I am pretty sure that you are OK as these are considered user replaceable parts. I think there is a thread somewhere that talks about this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys!

I'm not 100% sure about the ram...but I think upgrading the HDD will almost definitely void the warranty if it is not done by an Apple technician.

Here's the fine print...read the part about "limitations". Any further questions, call your local Apple Store:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf

Just remember...if you replace or upgrade something which may void the warranty...then have a problem later that requires warranty work...and Apple finds out your upgrade voided the warranty...don't tell them, "Well some guy on mac-forums.com said that it was ok."

I don't think that is going to fly...check with Apple about warranties...not here!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Looking at my Macbook Pro printed manual, and about to upgrade my RAM as soon as it arrives, I note that the manual has a whole chapter with instructions on how to upgrade both the RAM and the hard drive. I would imagine they wouldn't have those instructions in the manual if they weren't user replaceable parts.

Now, they do state that if you damage your Macbook Pro while doing these things it'll void the warrantee, but if you successfully do it without screwing anything up you'll be fine.

I upgraded both HDD and RAM in my old Macbook (white) and took it in for AppleCare warrantee service a number of times with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
One thing you could do is keep your old HDD and RAM and (if anything every goes wrong) just stick that back in your machine if you need to send off your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.