Running Slow After Recent Updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.5.7
Hi Gang, first post here.

Last week, I updated Safari to the latest (4.0.2) and updated iTunes (to 8.2.1) and it seems like ever since then, the whole machine has been ridiculously slow and Safari crashes within seconds everytime I try opening it.

Strangely, I was able to watch a DVD on the machine over the weekend with no problems at all (New in Town. Cute, but nothing special), but running any kind of program is terrible.

I've had this laptop almost three years (it's not the most current model, but it does what I need it to do) and I've never had any problems at all, so I'm really aggravated. Any help is desperately appreciated.

If you need more info, just let me know, but please be forewarned, I'm not what the I.T. crowd would call "a computer person" by any means, so please use small words and try to explain things much the same way you'd explain them to a 10-year old. :Smirk:

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I would recommend you to repair the permissions. This would set the correct permission to all the system files for users and groups. By not updating them my cause slowing down the system as a whole. This is however only one of many reasons why the system is slow. Here is how you repair permissions.
  1. In Finder goto, Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and open it.
  2. Click on "Repair Permission" (You may have to provide the root user password)
  3. Wait till it repairs all the permissions.
  4. Close the application.

Now, see whether there is any improvement.

OP
Squirrel26
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.5.7
Here is how you repair permissions.
  1. In Finder goto, Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and open it.
  2. Click on "Repair Permission" (You may have to provide the root user password)
  3. Wait till it repairs all the permissions.
  4. Close the application.

Now, see whether there is any improvement.

Okay... I just did all that, exactly as you said, and it helped a little bit. Now, for example, Safari loads my home page (Google), but when I navigate to any other website, it opens the page and then freezes/crashes. Baby steps in the right direction. Ha. ;D

It's also still slow with other programs (Quicktime, for example). Faster than it was earlier today, but still not like it's always been in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.