What are some reasons why I should buy a Mac I haven't heard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.8GHz i5, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB 1TB hard drive
What are some reasons why I should buy a MacBook Pro (or any mac) that I haven't heard before?

I haven't heard many either... so it shouldn't be too hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
well, which ones HAVE you heard? Hard to give you reasons you haven't heard if we don't know which ones you've already heard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What are some reasons why I should buy a MacBook Pro (or any mac) that I haven't heard before?

I haven't heard many either... so it shouldn't be too hard.

What reasons have you already heard for buying a Macintosh?...and if they didn't convince you why?

Have you ever used a Macintosh computer?

You're really the one to decide whether a Mac is for you or not...no matter how many reasons other folks tell you.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If the reasons you have already heard of, which would naturally be the biggest selling point, don't really make you lean on one side of the computer argument, I would suggest you really look at the computers yourself. I have had times when I bought something because someone said it was better, but I ended up hating it. The same thing will go for the mac/regular pc argument. Go out and check them out yourself first!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
Once you go Mac you won't go back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The one thing most of us that were switchers was why didn't I do this sooner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Seriously...everything gets done much quicker, more efficiently in a much more enjoyable way. They look pretty, they have better battery life and just seem to be a better experience in the computer world all round.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, I'm sitting here tonight fixing a Vista notebook I just repaired less than two months ago. He lets his daughters use it. One in particular, every time she touches it the thing crashes. Only had 2 viruses and 3 trojans on it this time. Had to safe boot and run the virus scanner in command line mode from to get rid of them.

She says, I didn't download anything. Hah, 3 of them had been saved to the separate downloads folder I had set up and told them to use.

Have never had a friend bring me a Mac to fix cause it had a half ton of viruses on it (or even one).
Course I've never had a virus on any of my personal Win boxes either and I've been using MS since MS DOS 5 or 6.

Everyone's got their own reason(s) for giving a Mac a try. If you don't have your own reasons, I'd suggest getting yourself another same ol' same ol'.

It ain't all a picnic, has it's share of quirks same as those other OS's.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To sum it up, what I often say is this...

If you can tolerate Windows and are not one for change, then you have no reason to stray.

If you have grown weary of some of the hassles associated with Windows and are ready for something different, then the Mac is definitely worthy of consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
personally my take is that it is a function of Masochism - if u are borne and bred windowozer then you will put up with a good amount of pain (read: doing same repetitive tasks and relying on a Guru/Fixer person) Having pushed my wife onto an intel iMac i am still amazed she is happy doing things that take 5 -7 actions when i spend time sorting it if i have to do 3 actions when there is a shortcut allowing 2 actions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
When i switched, the first thing i noticed was how user friendly it was. Setting up windows is a major job compared to setting up the Mac. Your home screen has most of the apps you would run right there. if not just get to the application folder and all you have are icons of the apps you have. There aren't folders and sub folder and program files, and this and that to run an application. Its all hidden from the user. Why confuse the user?

Your Wi-fi is set up on first boot, and that becomes your preferred network. Even setting up ethernet connection is easy...you dont have to choose network adapter and then choose properties, and then select tcp/ip or anything. just plug in an IP if you have it, or make a PPPoE straight away.

setting up windows mail is again a drag...all the year i used windows, i never used Mail, or Msn messenger, or outlook. Apple Mail on the other hand was an instant hit! opened it, put in my account details(username, pass, whether gmail or other) and it was done. i began downloading mail in a jiffy.

Using iPhoto(comes with all new macs..part of iLife) is just so easy. Its just as good as picasa, or maybe better. The most helpful tool i found on the mac was a dictionary application. No matter where you are typing( web pages, im clients, mail, calendar) or reading wikipedia, google, blogs....you can right click on a word and do look up in dictionary. :)

Apart from these you have stacks, on the dock you have the documents and downloads folder. Click to see what files are in there. they have improved it in snow leopard. spotlight is the mac wide search for within contents, and filenames, its on the top bar of the screen. an added feature(very handy at times) is if you use the spotlight for math it runs in calc and solves it right there for you.

Removing applications is again not a problem...as you just have to move it to trash just like any other file. no add/remove programs.

Apart from all the software awesomeness, you have the hardware. Its just more advanced than most other computers at its priced, (unless of course you go out and assemble one yourself) most computers today ship with DDR2, mac comes with DDR3 Ram(faster). Nvidia 9300, brilliant screen, very space saving dvd slot(not tray, so no need to move clutter near the computer to use ;) ) you have the great camera, superb keyboard, and the trackpad(on notebooks) is just amazing. After using this trackpad, i hate touching the one i have on a sony!
one finger the mouse moves, 2 fingers you scroll, three fingers you scroll through pictures, and four fingers sideways on the pad is like ALT+TAB on windows, and top to bottom is to clear clutter and show all windows on your desktop and bottom to top is to move all clutter and show desktop!

I love my mac for these and many more reasons, many of which are for more experienced users(for eg. you can change the MAC ID of your ethernet card). but i hope this is compelling enough for you to move to a mac soon :)

PS: very few viruses! :) no registry, no dlls, doesnt run exes. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Windows is boring (or was for me) ... just a different reason

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is the original poster going to reply?...or just trying to stir up trouble!;D

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.8GHz i5, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB 1TB hard drive
pigoo3 said:
Is the original poster going to reply?...or just trying to stir up trouble!

- Nick
I am going to reply. I've been busy with other things.

The reasons I have heard are those that Macs don't get viruses, cleaner, smoother OS and it's a more solid built computer that doesn't need security software.

Thank you to Rcynic for your long, informative answer. That really helped me. Thank you to others who have also posted reasons why. I'm sick of windows and was wanting some more reason to switch to Mac. Thanks guys. I got my answer now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.