Question about iphone

Reaction score
I wasnt sure where to post this so here it goes. I have been searching forever to try to find this answer.
Okay i want to buy an iphone but i just got an account at att so i have a 2 year contract and i already have the unlimited data plan on my existing phone plan.

If i buy an iphone off of ebay can i put my sim card in there and it would work since i already have the unlimited data plan? Can someone fill me in here?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I wasnt sure where to post this so here it goes. I have been searching forever to try to find this answer.
Okay i want to buy an iphone but i just got an account at att so i have a 2 year contract and i already have the unlimited data plan on my existing phone plan.

If i buy an iphone off of ebay can i put my sim card in there and it would work since i already have the unlimited data plan? Can someone fill me in here?
Thanks

To use the iPhone on the ATT network requires an iPhone specific data plan, so you would have to change your account around a bit. As for using one off of EBay, that should not be an issue. You may have to pay an activation fee, but since ATT is not subsidizing the cost, it should not extend your contract.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
This is pretty much exactly what I did. I had an existing ATT plan with a simple phone and no data plan. But I was not within the range of getting a subsidized upgrade, so I bought my 8G iPhone off of Ebay. I put the sim card from my existing Nokia into the iPhone. Called up AT&T and told them the iPhone information and had them add the iPhone Data plan and I was good to go..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Purchasing a iPhone off of eBay will not extend your contract. However, you will HAVE to add the iPhone data package to your line.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.