Weird file size issue

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has come across something like this before and if so how you resolved it.

I finally upgraded from 10.4.9 to 10.5.0 last week, downloaded all the necessary updates and I am now running 10.5.7. So far so good. However, I just noticed something really bizarre: for text files, Finder seems to me massively inflating the file size for files created or edited after the upgrade.

As you can see by the first attachment, almost all my text files are being reported at around 200KB! When I check the file details with my text editor (Smultron), the files display their correct sizes, most of which clock in at well under the standard 4K block size.

To add make things even stranger, if I change the application that opens the file, the file size changes! If you'll notice in the second attachment, I changed the file "default.js" to open with Safari 4 from Smultron. This dropped the reported file size from 196KB to 56KB.

Final oddity: if I open up a file, copy and paste the contents to a new file and save it, the Finder reports the correct file size.

While this is not a big problem (yet), it is rather annoying. The terminal reports the same size as the Finder (not really a surprise), restarting the Finder did nothing and just for the heck of it I repaired permissions.

Help?

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.