Bought friend's 3G (16gig) Only one speaker works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Just last week I bought a co-worker's 16 gig 3G and it's in almost perfect condition aesthetically speaking. I love the phone its self and am very happy, but just now noticed that only the speaker on the left side is working. I guess that explains why music and certain rings aren't as loud as I thought they'd be.

Just curious to know what you guys think I'd get charged to have such a thing fixed ? I'm temped to bring it to the Apple store and see if they'll switch it out, but that would really be a miracle. The phone is actually fairly new, because it was recently shipped to my friend after he had sent his original back to them for some reason, and they replaced it. So it's likely a refurb.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It only has one speaker, so that might explain it ;)

The other side is the microphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
If it makes you feel better, I made the same mistake.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Me also and usually I don't make mistakes like that. I really though knowing Apple it was Left and Right speakers. Drove me CRAZY. Then I looked at the manual for the iPhone 3g and there it was, Speaker on Left (Mono) and Microphone on Right.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
:Grimmace: Doh ! Wow. I just naturally assumed that they both acted as speaker/mic, but that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for pointing that out to me everybody !

Doug

Edit: How great would stereo speakers be though ? Good, now there's another thing to ride them for ! ;0

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
:Grimmace: Doh ! Wow. I just naturally assumed that they both acted as speaker/mic, but that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for pointing that out to me everybody !

Doug

Edit: How great would stereo speakers be though ? Good, now there's another thing to ride them for ! ;0

If you look at the bottom is sure does look like 2 speakers though! :D

I agree Stereo would be nice for times when I don't want to have headphones shoved into my ears or want to share a song or video with a friend,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
If you look at the bottom is sure does look like 2 speakers though! :D

I agree Stereo would be nice for times when I don't want to have headphones shoved into my ears or want to share a song or video with a friend,

Not sure it would matter if it did have stereo speakers since there wouldn't be enough stereo separation to notice any sort of improvement, other then it maybe being louder ;D

i am pretty sure the current mono speaker is being sent a muxed stereo signal anyway so you aren't missing anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig

Doug

It wouldn't make any difference - the speakers are so close together it would be pointless. Plus, how would it work in landscape mode?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.