OS Resell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13' Unibody 2.26Ghz
Hey Guys,

I couldn't find anything about this and nothing on here against it. Here's the situation.

I had a gen 2 macbook and I bought a retail copy of leopard for it a couple months ago. Last month the macbook died, logic board failed and due to the price - I just trashed the macbook and got a new MacBook Pro. This one obviously came with it's own leopard discs.

Is it legal to sell the old leopard disc now that no machine uses it? I didn't think it was - but saw used copies on amazon, ebay, and some other forums - so wanted to ask as it'd help me pay off this macbook some :)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
As long as that copy is not being used on any machine, you can sell it legally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's perfectly legal to re-sell an original disc. (Obviously, it's illegal to sell copies.) They call it the "doctrine of first sale," and it's what also makes selling used CDs and used video games legal.

Now, if you still had Leopard installed on a computer and sold the disc, then you would be violating the license agreement. The sale of the disc would still be perfectly legal, but the copy still on your computer would be in violation of the agreement. But since you don't, there is no probem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys - it is a retail copy - and can't be on any other machine as the macbook it was bought for is now dead.

What is the approximate cost of a used copy? I don't have the fancy box or docs anymore - I have a terrible habit of losing that kind of stuff.

Anyone want to buy a copy? ;)

Reaction score
Thanks guys - it is a retail copy - and can't be on any other machine as the macbook it was bought for is now dead.

What is the approximate cost of a used copy? I don't have the fancy box or docs anymore - I have a terrible habit of losing that kind of stuff.

Anyone want to buy a copy? ;)

You can sell it on craigslist for about 80-100 dollars. Depending on where you live (major metro areas sell better), someone should buy it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can sell it on craigslist for about 80-100 dollars. Depending on where you live (major metro areas sell better), someone should buy it.

I've had it on craigslist for a week now @ $60 and haven't had one bite..

Reaction score
I've had it on craigslist for a week now @ $60 and haven't had one bite..

Hmmm. Well for what it's worth, I used to live in a rural area and couldn't get any bites on ANYTHING...Now I'm living in Western Mass (near Springfield) and I had no problem selling mine here. It may just be your area. Unfortunately the going rate of certain things change pretty drastically from place to place.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.