opinion on G5 purchase

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the forums, not really new to macs this will be my second but I haven't worked on one sine 06'. ok here is my question. I am a graphic designer I want to come back to Mac (obviously) A mac pro is no where near in the budget at this time. I found a used power G5 for right at $600. before tax and shipping.
I worked with these back in 04 at graphics school and i remember them being pretty **** cool. so i would just like to get some opinions on the specs and if this is a good buy. thanks all

- PowerPC G5 2.0GHz Dual Processor

- 2GB Memory

- 1000GB (TWO 500GB HARD DRIVES)

- SuperDrive - DVD Burner (Burn DVD's and CD's)

- 256MB GeForce 6600 Video Adapter

- Loaded with OS X 10.4 Tiger. OS DISKS are included.

- iLife 06 Installed

FRONT PORTS
Headphone - USB - Firewire 400

REAR PORTS
Optical Audio In/Out - Headphone - Mic - USB (x2) -
Firewire 400 - Firewire 800 - Ethernet -
Dual DVI Output

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The next version of OS X (due out this autumn) is dropping PowerPC support, so if your into hardware that's about to be obsolete, go ahead ;)

I'd go for a mac mini if you have a good display or splash out a bit more and get an iMac if you don't. Both will offer better performance than the G5 and will be a lot more future-proof as well.

There's this enduring myth that graphic designers absolutely need a tower. If you're doing high-end stuff, you do need a lot of RAM. But the current generation consumer machines can handle a fair bit of RAM as well and an older, slower tower isn't going to perform as well CPU-wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The next version of OS X (due out this autumn) is dropping PowerPC support, so if your into hardware that's about to be obsolete, go ahead ;)
Obsolete
Pronunciation:
\ˌäb-sə-ˈlēt, ˈäb-sə-ˌ\
Function:
adjective
Definition:
1 a: no longer in use or no longer useful

I find Power Mac G5's to be very useful and will for some time now.
I also know that several of them are still in use, therefore obsolete isn't the best choice of terminology here. ;)

To the OP:

Speaking as a designer myself, that machine will serve you well.
Load up the RAM and you'll be just fine.
I'm still using a single 1.6 Ghz G5 with 3GB RAM and doing fine.
Like the tower myth, another myth is that you "need" the latest and greatest in order to do your job well.
Hogwash.
I know some people that are still using G3's with OS 9 for design work.
I'm sure some will argue about how new machines "save them time" and "increase their productivity"...etc., etc., etc...
Your talent and skill as a designer are what matters, not your machine.

Keeping a step or three 'behind' the times isn't a detriment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Fair enough DB... obsolete isn't the word. But don't you think the $600 Mac mini would last him longer?

The fact that I wouldn't be able to run 10.6 and the list of apps that don't support PowerPC isn't getting any shorter, I'd certainly not buy a PPC mac now. I'm not bashing PPC mac owners – stick with what works! But we're talking about investing money into a new purchase...

If you're set on the G5, wait until 10.6 is released. Prices will likely drop a fair bit once words gets around that it can't run snow leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, it depends greatly on what software he'll be using.
I still use a combination of CS2 and CS3 apps. I have no need to go up to CS4.
Therefore, I don't need OS X 10.6... in fact, I still use OS X 10.4 and see no burning desire or need to go to OS X 10.5 Leopard.

The G5 described will still be working just fine 2, 3, 4, 6 years from now.
Will it be able to run the latest and greatest software due out in that timeframe?... probably not.
Again, one doesn't "need" the latest and greatest software or hardware in order to have a computer that works well.
My G5 is definitely very 'long in the tooth', but still works just fine.
I use it for not only design work, but for audio tracking and recording as well using Logic 8 and Audacity.

Just because something newer, bigger, better, faster, prettier...etc is coming out is no reason to not buy an older machine that still has plenty of life left in it.
In fact, it can be a much smarter, more logical and more economical decision to keep a few steps behind in technology sometimes.

That computer and software was king when it came out... there's no reason why it would suddenly be worthless now with the advent of something new on the horizon.
Run the older hardware and software and you'll be fine.

I'm not meaning to dump on you Apt, but it irks me when I see so many people attempt to scare people out of buying a non-Intel Mac.
There isn't a thing wrong with buying a PPC Mac, and it bugs me when others try to tell others differently.
As long as one understands that they will sometimes need to use older legacy software, there shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From your description of the graphics card, if you are lucky, it may well be a Dual Core G5 with PCI-E graphics rather than AGP. They were released in October 2005 in 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5GHz formats, the latter being a Quad Core. Is the memory from About this Mac listed as DDR2 SDRAM?

And it will serve you well. Don't worry about this keeping up as DB says. Some Mac users are still running OS 8.6 on their G3's and iMacs quite happily and contented.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks D3v,

I'm currently on deployment in Iraq my XPS was blown up (literally) and I've been using a Compaq presario running CS4. so obviously I've been pushing this little machine way beyond its limits but my work is excellent (as I have been told) so I'm sure that the G5 cant be any worse.lol.
I respect aptmunich's opinion but I agree with yours.

Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks to everyone!
I will be using this mac for graphic imaging only. I have started a designer Tshirt line called "waxgoggles" and with so much money going into start up I need to keep my expenses low so wanted to make sure that this was a good purchase for the price. I have no doubt as to what the G5 can do (again I used them in art school and I remember being very impressed) I have purchased it and I would love to post the first piece I create with it for you guys to see.(if that's allowed) thanks for the help and i look forward to being a part of the forum.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.