Macbook Pro 13's battery life

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have just bought a new Macbook Pro 13'. I have enjoyed it very much. People have told me that it can last for 7-8 hours. However, I usually get like 5-6 (as it appears on the screen) hours out of it. Is it normal ?

Reaction score
it seems normal. i got a estimated 8 hours on my first charge when only using msn on 40% screen brightness but if you want to do anything useful on ur mac the battery will be around 5hours.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you. Also, what is also the right way to charge the battery ? For the first time, I used up the battery, then charged for 8 hours, then drained it again, then charged for 8 hours. After the first 2 charges, I use up the battery until it dies and then full charge again. Am I using the right way to charge ?

Is it good that I use the laptop while it is charging ?

Reaction score
given the mbp's battery life, that calibration sounds like a time consuming process :) right now i get an entire fairly intense day of use at work and home and still don't need to charge it. if it gets to where i need to charge it during the day i might do it...in fact the only time the battery suffers at all or the laptop heats up at all is when i'm running vista ultimate...sadly for work and a few other applications i still need it and can't wait for windows 7. have to say though, vista runs better on my 2gb mbp than on a 4gb ddr3 p-series intel dell! i can't believe i've put off this purchase for so long and that i was able to put up with my emachines desktop for so many years.

OP
N
Reaction score
What is the best way to use Macbook Pro 13' 's battery

What is the best way to use Macbook Pro 13' 's battery ?

Should I use up the battery every time ? Or should I plug the power in every time I use ? Do I wait till the battery drain out to charge it or I can charge it at any time ?

Reaction score
you can charge it up any time. Plugging in power will save your battery (making it go through fewer cycles). I always make sure to use the battery occasionally, but I think that's a hangover from when you HAD to run down batteries or you'd nuke them.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks. So I am basically destroying the battery by using it all the time right ?

From now on, I should plug in while I use right ? or I should use it partially then recharge it ?

kkk

Reaction score
install coconut battery, it will give you a good, periodic view for your battery cycles and health.
coconut battery
I guess, by monitoring how many cycles you had, you can maintain their number, hence have the least cycles possible. I mean, yes, you shouldn't have many loadcycles (shouldn't use the battery alot, plug it when near a supply,etc), but also you should use it from time to time. maybe 1-2 cycles per week . :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Oh, so I misunderstood how to use battery.

From now on, I should plug my Macbook in most of the time right ? Then use the battery once or twice a week ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Whenever you can plug it in, probably a wise idea to. But after all, it's a laptop and so use it on battery when it's convenient for you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For the most part, just use your machine the way you need to use it. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. If you're sitting next to an outlet, personally, I plug it in.

Here is Apple's info regarding your battery.

In particular check out the links under Applecare on "How to calibrate..." and "How to maximize...".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
install coconut battery, it will give you a good, periodic view for your battery cycles and health.
coconut battery
I guess, by monitoring how many cycles you had, you can maintain their number, hence have the least cycles possible. I mean, yes, you shouldn't have many loadcycles (shouldn't use the battery alot, plug it when near a supply,etc), but also you should use it from time to time. maybe 1-2 cycles per week . :)

On its website, Apple says to cycle the battery at least once a month. I had the same question myself when I got my MBP. Now, I keep it plugged in with the intention of cycling at least once, maybe twice, a month.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Batteries are consumables, and the science of conserving their useful life is not an exact one. The advice you received from bobtomay is exactly what I would say - use the computer the way you want to and don't sweat it.

Under normal usage patterns, Apple claims 1000 cycles, which is about 3x that of a normal laptop battery. Since most laptop batteries under normal use last about 2 years, I would imaging you'll get about 5 out of that battery without having to do anything special.

Reaction score
And still people are wondering why Macs are more expensive than other laptop computers, well there it is...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's an interesting article I found regarding laptop batteries...(lithium-ion specifically):

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

I'm not sure if the statements in the article are universally accepted but two interesting things were:

- lithium-ion batteries are good for 300-500 charge cycles
- The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.

Enjoy the article,

- Nick

Reaction score
but apple has promoted it's new way of charging batteries (hence the extra cycles).

And from what I understand, they have a decent battery replacement scheme.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.