how to highlight text using different color in Preview for PDF file

Reaction score
Mac's Preview is quite handy for highlighting text for a PDF document.

But it seems that i cannot highlight text using a color other than yellow?

The goal is to easily highlight using yellow, pink, or green to highlight different text, so that pink indicates the main ideas and yellow indicates supporting ideas, and green indicates special attention word.

Or, are there alternatives? Acrobat costs $299... If using Microsoft's XPS, maybe it can be free but will involve format exchange which may or may not keep all data intact.

Foxit, PDFill, Nitro PDF seems like good options on download.com, with PDFill being the top for customer rating, but the screenshot on the publisher's website seem a bit basic UI design.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Skim is what you're looking for. Has a great many other features including ability to take notes and more, plus it's free. Has a good help file showing how to make changes for highlight colors, and most of it's other tools.

OP
W
Reaction score
Skim is what you're looking for. Has a great many other features including ability to take notes and more, plus it's free. Has a good help file showing how to make changes for highlight colors, and most of it's other tools.

oh thanks for the tip. Is there any alternative or other people also think Skim is probably one of the best methods around?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Select the pdf Text in Preview > Tools > Show Colours > Set the colour required > Tools Mark up > Highlight.
S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.