Quicksilver 2002 933mhz becoming slower and slower

Reaction score
First post for me. It seems to me that the native Mac apps, especially the new iTunes(8) is really slow. The whole "determining gapless" and "song volume" seems to take forever. I have a single 933mhz processor. is it possible that the latest versions of the native apps are taxing my processor to the limit? I am contemplating doing some upgrades to my computer using parts from Other World Computing(new dual 1.8g processor, new CD/DVD burner) Around $800 for the upgrade. Or should i limp through and buy a new iMac?

thanks for any opinions

rjherald

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is on your QS2002?

I have noticed on my older Macs that the latest Quicktime and ITunes run a bit slower than they used to back a few versions ago. That is probably part of what you are seeing.

I would suggest though running Onyx or MainMenu and do some maintenance and that might help the machine run a bit faster also.

I would not put that much into a G4 machine because even after your $800 it will quite a bit slower than even the first run of Intel Macs. If I was going to spend that much, I would save a bit longer and purchase a newer Intel Mac. The iMac would do quite well.

I have a Quicksilver 733 with 10.4.11 and have not upgraded iTunes the last few times as I was afraid of what you are running into on your machine.

I have a fully decked out G4 DA with a 1.8Ghz G4, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 1.5GB PC133 RAM (The RAM helps a LOT!) and USB 2.0. It's nice but my single CPU G5 even is way faster at most tasks leave alone any Intel Mac. I did it just to mod a Mac as I am a PC builder by profession and thought it would be fun, but it did cost me a lot. Don't get me wrong, it's way faster than it was but still for the $$$ no where near a modern Mac in performance.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm with dtravis on this one. $800?? Not a chance. Even after you pour that $800 into it, you couldn't get $500 trying to sell it. The cheapest new iMac at $1200 will flat blow it out of the water. And these should be hitting the refurb store soon (if not already) for about $1000-$1100.

Really strapped for cash and need to make this one do for awhile longer yet, wouldn't put any more than $200 to maybe $400 max into it. Save the rest for a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.