Cant install Tiger in my iMac G3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"macbook-air 2gb,80gbhd,1.8ghz/14" iBook G4 1.5gb,80gbhd,1.6Ghz
A friend of mine gave a iMac G3 for my daughter and gave me 4 CD's copys of Tiger OS.....When i try to install it wont go thru because there is an error with the disc it might be dirty or what ever else it saids.........And i dont have panther OS disc's only have leopard.....can i some how put all 4 cd's into a DVD and then try loading tiger? if so how would i do that or there is no other way but to buy a tiger system from ebay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You could try giving the disks a clean, and then try and create clean duplicates of the disks

What os is the G3 currently running

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try giving the disks a clean, and then try and create clean duplicates of the disks

What os is the G3 currently running
None he had an issue with the hard drive and had to change it and couldnt install tiger so he gave it to me.....I had panther OS Discs but gave them to the guy that bought my iBook G3 so the only OS i have is Leopard.
What gets me is that the CD's he gave me are clear no scratches at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
the - gave me 4 CD's copys of Tiger OS - are they the grey set of discs that came with another computer. You need this style of disc

Click for full size

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which iMac G3 is this? Is the CD Rom a Tray that pops out of a Slot you push the CD into?

If it's the Tray loading one, open the tray and clean the laser. I usually just Alcohol and a QTip.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the - gave me 4 CD's copys of Tiger OS - are they the grey set of discs that came with another computer. You need this style of disc

Click for full size
Nope they are not the Original Disc they are copy's my panther original disc had the X but not this ones not the ones he gave me they are SONY CD's lol

Which iMac G3 is this? Is the CD Rom a Tray that pops out of a Slot you push the CD into?

If it's the Tray loading one, open the tray and clean the laser. I usually just Alcohol and a QTip.
Its the one where you push in the CD no tray.....i might try the dvd laser clear see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Nope they are not the Original Disc they are copy's my panther original disc had the X but not this ones not the ones he gave me they are SONY CD's lol

It is against the rules of this forum to help you with illegal activity. LOL.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
technologist is correct. You can't make copies of a friends Tiger CDs and use them. That is against Apples EULA and therefor the rules here at Mac Forums.

I would suggest going on Ebay and looking for a legal copy of Tiger. If I knew more about that iMac I could find if it had a DVD drive which would make purchasing Tiger easier as most Retail Black Tiger discs are DVD's.

Anyway no discussion of any pirated version of Tiger is allowed. Sorry. If you purchase Tiger and have a legal version and are still having issues, please ask and we can and will help.

I will almost bet that is why it will not boot from the Tiger discs also. Copies a lot of times will not boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.